Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Patrick,

Thank you for the detailed description of your method. As I suspected, it’s different to many other methods. I must give it a try.

I’m looking forward to seeing how you weather A42 as I think that is one of the best liveries on the A class especially with your goods trains.

• 3 weeks later...

A12 on a beet special at Keilys Cross in October 1969. The two H vans are returning empty to Mallow from Glen More where they delivered beet pulp, a byproduct of the sugar refining process which was sold to farmers for cattle feed.

20240324_162550.jpg

20240324_162430.jpg

20240324_162304.jpg

• Like 12
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, StevieB said:

I’ll be sorry to see no more of your videos. Is there any chance of saving the layout for re-erection at a future date?

It's really not practical attempting to re-erect the layout given how it is built and in any case given all  I have learned in the twelve years since the layout was started any future project will be hopefully built to a higher standard. 

• Like 7

Yes, what a layout it’s been - an ideal and convincing background for all the delightful new releases over the past decade. From experience, I know that modelling in a short-term rental takes a different form but is possible - maybe a micro layout or two to keep things on the boil? Have a look at Ian Holmes’ Micro Model Railway Dispatch newsletter. I can’t paste links for some reason but easily findable via your favours search engine.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, patrick said:

It's really not practical attempting to re-erect the layout given how it is built and in any case given all  I have learned in the twelve years since the layout was started any future project will be hopefully built to a higher standard. 

Higher standard? It really can't get much higher Patrick. Very sad to hear of this dismantling, but you have your priorities. Even the people on the platform look a little forlorn , watching the last train go by.  Good luck with the move, and all it brings to you and Maureen,

Derek

• Agree 2

Good luck with the move and looking after your mother in law as well, beside the rolling stock, I hope you are going to keep all those buildins as well?

Take care

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Never really got around to knowing this layout properly as the topics almost as old as me! I know enough about it now, though, to say that it’s definitely a loss to the forum. Best of luck for the future.

• Like 2

Patrick, 

Just caught up with the news , good luck with the move and hope in time you can share new works, no rush it is a hobby after all. 

A big thank you for letting us share the layout and the inspirational words and pictures  over the life of the layout.

Robert 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Good luck with the move Patrick & Maureen.  One of the many benefits of this forum will be seen in the amazing legacy of pictures and videos which you have left for us to enjoy in this thread, for which you deserve our sincerest thanks.

Hoping Maureen’s Mum is doing well. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Best wishes for the move. Understand. I will miss your amazing layout but thank goodness we have a wonderful archive here of your incredibly atmospheric creation. Best wishes for the future. Looking forward to what appears in the years ahead. Your layout has been an inspiration and has always been my favourite layout. Take care.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Good luck with the move Patrick and Maureen, I can identify both with your caring commitments and having to dismantle a layout as a result of a house move. It was great seeing a classic American style walk-around layout in a South Waterford context a single track main line railway through rolling country with high viaducts and tunnels. Ironically I was struck by the railway around the headland at Ballyvoyle and the level crossing in Dungarvan when I first visited the area as a 7-8 year old 60 or so years ago in the back of my parents car travelling from Waterford to Youghal, the Sun was so strong my Mum bought me a Cowboy hat in Youghal which I proudly wore for the rest of the holiday.

Also pleasing to see my 3D printed wagons and vans in real goods trains🙂

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2

On 16/5/2024 at 9:26 PM, patrick said:

Thursday May 15th 2024. The last train on the South Waterford Line leaves Grange headed for the Cork  fiddle yard. There the rolling stock will be boxed and work will begin dismantling the layout.

Maureen and I have decided it is time for us to move, first to a rental property near her mom who needs more and more help by the day and then look for home with with a garden, something we did not have in a condo and sorley missed. Of course a train room will be a requirement in any new house!

20240516_160110.jpg

Sorry to hear of this - definitely one of the best layouts this website - or Irish modelling in general - has ever seen.

Good luck with the move, and here’s to a future reincarnation!

• Like 2