Bachmann IE Autoballasters

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Thanks lads,

I've added some extendable chutes to two of my wagons,

Most of the real autoballasters have been fitted with these extendable chutes,they are used for side filling and reach out about five feet extra when extended,

IE planned to have two or four wagons on a rake,

They are secured in place by clips either side...

image-1345970272.jpg

image-1345970272.jpg

That's a great touch Noel well done have you any close up shots of either the real thing or the model in case anyone else wants to have a go. Once again well done on a cracking bit of detail :-bd

Thanks Anthony,yes I have lots of close ups of the prototype which I'll post for everyone over the weekend...

Noel are all the wagons fitted with these if not how many in a rake would be fitted out like this. Thanks for posting the pictures up:tumbsup:

Anthony,all of that particular set of eight autoballasters had them fitted-I'm not sure about any other sets yet,

I'm reliably told that IE had plans that e.g an eight piece set would have four wagons fitted with the extendable chutes and a six piece would have two wagons fitted,

The photo was taken from the station platform at Roscommon station when the set was stabled there a few weeks ago,

The set is now stabled on the former cement siding at Tullamore station minus a loco if anyone's interested.

Anthony,all of that particular set of eight autoballasters had them fitted-I'm not sure about any other sets yet,

I'm reliably told that IE had plans that e.g an eight piece set would have four wagons fitted with the extendable chutes and a six piece would have two wagons fitted,

The photo was taken from the station platform at Roscommon station when the set was stabled there a few weeks ago,

The set is now stabled on the former cement siding at Tullamore station minus a loco if anyone's interested.

Thanks Mate

• 3 years later...

Nice models, but too modern for my preferred era. My Irish modelling interest ceases from about 1980 onwards, nostalgia memory homing, childhood memories, etc. I find modern image stock quite smart looking, but can look quite out of place on typical 00 radius model layout curves :) I got rid of my bogie freight stock and BR Mk3 coaches many years ago because they were too long and I didn't like the way they overhung curves. You get a lot of poetic license with swb 2 axle goods wagons and 57-60ft coaches, enabling longer trains that look more realistic. Perhaps N gauge might better accommodate scale length modern image formations, but alas UK outline!

Nice models, but too modern for my preferred era. My Irish modelling interest ceases from about 1980 onwards, nostalgia memory homing, childhood memories, etc. I find modern image stock quite smart looking, but can look quite out of place on typical 00 radius model layout curves :) I got rid of my bogie freight stock and BR Mk3 coaches many years ago because they were too long and I didn't like the way they overhung curves. You get a lot of poetic license with swb 2 axle goods wagons and 57-60ft coaches, enabling longer trains that look more realistic. Perhaps N gauge might better accommodate scale length modern image formations, but alas UK outline!

Why not go N gauge and convert Graham Farish Mark IIs, IIIs or IVs to irish outline using vinyl overlays? See http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk/ Click on "International" then "Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland" for full range of IE vinyl overlays...

Edited by Irishrailwayman

If you want a rake of these wagons the only way to go is to respray.

IMG_3408.JPG

Strip them.

IMG_3434.JPG

Paint them.

IMG_3446.JPG

Weshty supplies the transfers but be warned there is about 50 individual pieces to each wagon and after the first wagon I got it down to 40 mins to cut out and apply the decals to each one.

If you want a rake of these wagons the only way to go is to respray.

IMG_3408.JPG

Strip them.

IMG_3434.JPG

Paint them.

IMG_3446.JPG

Weshty supplies the transfers but be warned there is about 50 individual pieces to each wagon and after the first wagon I got it down to 40 mins to cut out and apply the decals to each one.

Brings back bad memories and i only done one. Hats of to you Kieran, they look the business.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
At that price you'd be cheaper sourcing the English ones and having them repainted.

£90 for the twin pack is a decent price. One single Autoballaster in UK livery is €70 in Marks for instance. In hattons a Genny is £46 on its own. Though who knows how high it will go!

Edited by Warbonnet