Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

4 hours ago, irishthump said:

As I said on other media this should get a certain cohort of ar**holes off of PM's back!

Spot on thump, couldn't agree more. There's one or two on here guilty of continuous whining regarding the 121 project of late (they know who they are). Yet these are the same individuals who will be first to post on here gushing over the model when it's finally released. I've said it before and I'll say it again, some people are never happy. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JasonB said:

Spot on thump, couldn't agree more. There's one or two on here guilty of continuous whining regarding the 121 project of late (they know who they are). Yet these are the same individuals who will be first to post on here gushing over the model when it's finally released. I've said it before and I'll say it again, some people are never happy. 

Agree Jason we all know who the main complainant and moaner is. He's been bad mouthing other manufacturers behind their backs also and being as nice as pie to them on here. Two faced and untrustworthy individual.

Great to see the model progressing nicely and when it is released it is released, patience is the key.

Rich,

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RedRich said:

Agree Jason we all know who the main complainant and moaner is. He's been bad mouthing other manufacturers behind their backs also and being as nice as pie to them on here. Two faced and untrustworthy individual.

Great to see the model progressing nicely and when it is released it is released, patience is the key.

Rich,

Delighted to see the progress myself. Good things come to those who wait Rich. As proved by Mr Murphy in the past, and again with the 121 in the near future. 

Edited by JasonB

On 4/18/2019 at 7:51 PM, BSGSV said:

I think 133 had the two cab window's at the bonnet side blanked out also in IE livery.

Rich,

I was under the impression that 133 had had the windows blanked out so I did a bit of digging through my negs and video. Attached is a compilation of 133 in action in June 2001. The first parts where it backed down to North Wall along with 148 and then came back up the bank with a Belfast Liner looks as if the windows are plated over. However I caught the loco the Sunday after at Drogheda and it is apparent that they were just filthy. The loco however on both sides isn't IR or IE although other numbers etc are quite clear. Maybe somebody nicked the template or they had run out of paint!

Ernie   

Edited by Irishswissernie

As a matter of interest what happened to the 141 and 181 fleet?  Were they broken up, sold to scrap merchants, or put into long term storage? (ie aside from the preserved few). . . . and how many 121s are likely to be preserved, is it just the one? (ie 134).

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan564017 said:

speaking of liveries, is it possible to see what the Murphy Models 121 liveries will be? if possible are there any pre-production pictures, not the CAD models. 

Planned liveries and running numbers are listed on previous page. 

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/3198-murphy-models-121/page/14/

Edited by JasonB

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2019 at 7:34 PM, warb said:

refurb 131,122 and 134 and non refurb 122

regards

warb

SL370455.JPG

Thats a fantastic shot of 124 coupled up to Mk4 coach. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but what does 'non-refurb 122' mean? Is it just a cosmetic restoration for display purposes?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

At last some good news people

End May delivery:  MM0124, MM0129, MM0134. IE  logo. So should be available to purchase after  June 8th

End June delivery: MM0121, MM0135 CIE grey.  MM0125, MM0131 CIE Black, hopefully available after July 7th

End July delivery: MM0126, MM0132 CIE supertrain.  MM0127, MM0130, MM0133 IR logo, available  early August 

As you are probably aware, shipping from China is somewhat erratic (and expensive) due to medical supplies getting priority, but PM is already working on it. All going well, he would hope to start shipping to retailers from 8th.June.   

No RRP yet

Hip Hip.......

Thank you for the update you have made my week Dave,:tumbsup:

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

End May delivery:  MM0124, MM0129, MM0134. IE  logo. So should be available to purchase after  June 8th

End June delivery: MM0121, MM0135 CIE grey.  MM0125, MM0131 CIE Black, hopefully available after July 7th

End July delivery: MM0126, MM0132 CIE supertrain.  MM0127, MM0130, MM0133 IR logo, available  early August 

As you are probably aware, shipping from China is somewhat erratic (and expensive) due to medical supplies getting priority, but PM is already working on it. All going well, he would hope to start shipping to retailers from 8th.June.   

No RRP yet

Hip Hip.......

will be great to see them amazed that its only a month between groups but i suppose spacing originally would have ben better if this virus had not happened

Can't wait to get my hands on one of his Black'n'Tan livery ones and a super train livery. Can run them as a pair nose2nose or singly. A little out of my era but an Irish rail broken points logo with the dual tippex seems an essential 121 livery to have. That's 3 plus 1961 delivery grey is a must for any collector, that makes 4.

14 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Worth every cent. I've two ordered.....

Yes probably, but a price as high as €200 could well reduce the overall volume of sales over the next 18 months or so, especially competing for modellers budgets against other new much anticipated products later this year, and the CV19 effect. Hattons currently have them listed for equivalent of €170.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

No RRP yet

Hip Hip.......

safe_image_php.gif.849a5e7896ec727133a7906cef3ac308.gif

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

From the horses mouth:

As you know I will have dedicated chips for my forthcoming Class 121 loco. Details as follows. Note that catalogue numbers for the sound chips are different to those already advised.

MM0006 Class 121 DCC    SRP €36.95

MM0567 Class 121 DCC sound chip  SRP €125.00   EMD 8-567CR NT

MM0645 Class 121 DCC sound chip  SRP €125.00   EMD 8-645E NT 

The software for these chips is designed, in conjunction with the PCB, specifically for the Class 121 loco. This software will not be available on any website. It has not been tested on my Class 141/181 locos and there is no claim on my part that it will operate in the required manner. Users do so at their own risk. A full list of functions will be available on my website in due course.  The usual CVs will be variable as necessary.

WARNING  People who use 3rd party chips do so at their risk. There is no warranty on any damage that may arise.

There are 2 removable parts on the top of the loco. The smaller one allows for access to 6 switches to operate the lights as appropriate in DC mode. For DCC they should all be in the on position. The larger aperture allows for the fitting of DCC chips.  As a result of the foregoing, there is absolutely no need to open up the loco. Doing so risks damage, which may be expensive to repair.    

Note that the IP of these chips is the sole property of Murphy Models. The information supplied can be used by authorised dealers in the normal course of trade.

All chips will be available first half of June.  Modellers who heard early sound samples were very impressed.  

Stay safe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

54 minutes ago, Bentleypat said:

What’s the difference between both sound chips?

MM0006 Class 121 DCC    SRP €36.95 (No Sound -  Digital Command Control) 

MM0567 Class 121 DCC sound chip  SRP €125.00   EMD 8-567CR NT (Sound Decoder representing the Sound for these Locomotives when delivered with their  *GM 567 CA 8-Cylinder, twin bank, blower scavenged, developing 950 hp gross at 835 rpm, 875 hp traction. - Prior to engine transplants) 

MM0645 Class 121 DCC sound chip  SRP €125.00   EMD 8-645E NT (Sound Decoder representing the Sound of these Locomotives from Transplanted Engines. Engines from from withdrawn C Class (201) Locomotives were installed in  Class 121 Class Locomotives as and when it became necessary to replace engine power packs. *GM B-645 E 8 cylinder. twin bank, blower scavenged, developing 1,100 hp gross at 900 rpm, 1,040 hp traction.

*Information taken from  Irish Locomotives and Rolling Stock of Coras Iompair Eireann and Northern Ireland Railways - O.Doyle ans S. Hirsch

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

From the horses mouth:

As you know I will have dedicated chips for my forthcoming Class 121 loco. Details as follows. Note that catalogue numbers for the sound chips are different to those already advised.

MM0006 Class 121 DCC    SRP €36.95

MM0567 Class 121 DCC sound chip  SRP €125.00   EMD 8-567CR NT

MM0645 Class 121 DCC sound chip  SRP €125.00   EMD 8-645E NT 

The software for these chips is designed, in conjunction with the PCB, specifically for the Class 121 loco. This software will not be available on any website. It has not been tested on my Class 141/181 locos and there is no claim on my part that it will operate in the required manner. Users do so at their own risk. A full list of functions will be available on my website in due course.  The usual CVs will be variable as necessary.

WARNING  People who use 3rd party chips do so at their risk. There is no warranty on any damage that may arise.

There are 2 removable parts on the top of the loco. The smaller one allows for access to 6 switches to operate the lights as appropriate in DC mode. For DCC they should all be in the on position. The larger aperture allows for the fitting of DCC chips.  As a result of the foregoing, there is absolutely no need to open up the loco. Doing so risks damage, which may be expensive to repair.    

Note that the IP of these chips is the sole property of Murphy Models. The information supplied can be used by authorised dealers in the normal course of trade.

All chips will be available first half of June.  Modellers who heard early sound samples were very impressed.  

Stay safe.

I know you might not have the answers to these questions but I'll ask anyway!

1) Are the decoders definitely being produced by ESU?

2) Any idea who is producing the actual soundfile for the sound decoders?

3) Did PM actual obtain new sound recordings of the engine types in question?

• Like 1