A Class Pre Production First Look!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

It looks amazing it screams A Class it runs beautifully. It's such an important part of railway history in the modern era and was the one model that really needed to be produced maybe more so than the GM 201 Class. Can't wait to see a painted example and more of the cab interior. IRM have every reason to be excited as this will set a new standard.

Rich,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Noel said:

Wow. An idea, a dream was born only 6 years ago and now look what you guys have managed to produce. Looks truly stunning and better looks a stunningly precise runner. Love the low speed clips. Well done guys, what a journey.

Thanks Noel,

Actually next March is just the 4th anniversary of us 'going for real' into model making, after the ballast hopper adventure :)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the awesome feedback! We're very humbled by your feedback, and it was a proud day for us. Hats off to @Glenderg who put his heart and soul into the design of it. Locos are a massive project, both workload and financially, so it's great to see it pay off. We reckon they will look the part on your layouts and in your collections. 

Testing has been ongoing, and so far so good. We have gone big on the internals with our friends at ESU, so as you can see here, should your A Class hit some points, or dirty track or a dead spot, it wont stop! We timed it being off the track for 9 seconds before the wheels stopped turning! All wheel drive and pick up certainly helps too, and as you can see, on the GM variants rotating axle caps will be present and regauging to 21mm nice and handy.

We will be at the South Dublin Model Railway clubrooms tomorrow evening from 8:00pm with our As and Ferts so please drop by for a look and say hi. All welcome! 

Back to the testing!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 6
  • WOW! 2

It looks great and it moves great.

But then I knew it would! - ye guys have set high standards for yourselves.

I've worked for more than a few start ups in my time and i know the time, resources ,effort, frustrations and the rest that goes into getting a product from an idea , to a plan, to a cad, to that first physical sample in your hands......

Well done and dont forget to enjoy the moment of accomplishment - hope the rest of the production process goes to plan.

Now I must really get my own plan going regarding a layout to showcase this wonderful model....the kitchen table doesnt really cut it anymore!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, mmie353 said:

@Warbonnet dude, any idea on quantities of each for the A class? With the 121's coming out, and I have to get an order in for the ferts, I would like to add if I can to my order for the A class

The run, with all 17 versions, will still be somewhat limited, we're looking at probably 250 locomotives per variation.

Update. As I was blessed with only two kidneys I headed to the local butcher shop. I managed to pick up a few more kidneys for Ebay…. 

As an aside I do carry an organ donor card (female members please exert some self control) so I do feel some pangs of guilt.

Also the JCB has arrived and has been suitably camouflaged..... for the St Patricks Day parade.

Anyone else any good ideas, or are you keeping them to fund your own requirements?

Edited by spudfan
  • Funny 2

I've had one of these ugly wee feckers on order since May.  Now I'm thinking with the ferts, flats, an A class and the 121 all on order the Mrs Dr G-F may well be serving me with divorce papers as I spend the Junior Dr G-Fs inheritance on toy trains.  

Am I worried? Heck no,  But if you fellas don't announce a MK3 push pull set soon I may cry like a week gurrl

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I've had one of these ugly wee feckers on order since May.  Now I'm thinking with the ferts, flats, an A class and the 121 all on order the Mrs Dr G-F may well be serving me with divorce papers as I spend the Junior Dr G-Fs inheritance on toy trains.  

Am I worried? Heck no,  But if you fellas don't announce a MK3 push pull set soon I may cry like a week gurrl

Methinks you and I will be moving in together!!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

@warbonnet has been generous enough to tag me as having some responsibility here, but I need to expand on that slightly.  Myself , Fran, and Pat all went to DCDR to survey and spent the day snapping and measuring. It might be my job to convert that data to plastic, and it near killed me to make the 3D model, but it wouldn't have been possible without Pat's middle of the night conversations with China, nor his understanding of the prototype, nor Fran's queries of "Did this version not have this type of yokemedoo*", and "can we have this DCC functionality", nor Bosko's "I want a meellion of these for meself,  so they'd better be right"

(I may be understating Bosko's input here for some poorly executed comedy effect, but IRM wouldn't exist without him. Simple as.)

In summary, this is a joint effort, based on the work of all 4 of us, and there's still some work to be done, we'll all chip in to make it as fantastic an A - Class as it deserves to be. 

R. 

*I don't do technical speak at all! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I'm thinking there couldn't have been any fat drivers on the CIE back in the day - how did anyone fit through those narrow doors? :)

My luxury upholstered backside managed to fit and the cab itself is quite roomy, 141s on the other hand are tiny, both in access and the cab itself! 

• Like 2
  • Informative 2
  • Funny 2

The underframe detail in the second clip is truly museum level. It could be a trick of the light in the second clip but is the cooling fan spinning. One of the trains that I have fondest memories of growing up in the eighties and nineties before the GM's took over is an A Class pulling Beet wagons to and from Wellington Bridge, I hope you are taking note men a double height Beet wagon to  accompany the A's and to the level of the already released wagons is a must. We need to get you scanned by Modelu in a seated position for the cab Fran with Richie and Pat scanned in measuring the real loco pose to be able to recreate the Downpatrick visit in model form when the measuring and research took place.with A39.

Rich,

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RedRich said:

The underframe detail in the second clip is truly museum level. It could be a trick of the light in the second clip but is the cooling fan spinning. One of the trains that I have fondest memories of growing up in the eighties and nineties before the GM's took over is an A Class pulling Beet wagons to and from Wellington Bridge, I hope you are taking note men a double height Beet wagon to  accompany the A's and to the level of the already released wagons is a must. We need to get you scanned by Modelu in a seated position for the cab Fran with Richie and Pat scanned in measuring the real loco pose to be able to recreate the Downpatrick visit in model form when the measuring and research took place.with A39.

Rich,

Well said Rich....:tumbsup:

• Like 2