IRM Announcements.

Rate this topic

Fowler4f

4 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

I've heard IRM will be producing the 800s...in black n tan only.

Apparently, it will only be available in a pack with a Crossley A class which doesn't work, for the kettle to rescue...

Don't forget the 6-pack set of three-wheeled steam-era sugar beet & magnesite tanker wagons............

• Funny 2

Okay, guys - April Fool jokes end at MIDDAY!

Leyney, I would have thought that a C Class was a really major exercise for The Boys, as only the cab was the same and it was just as useless as the A Class until GM re-engined them - mind you the British electrical bits seem to have been fine and lasted for ages. Like it or lump it, the Yanks knew how to build diesels. Even the Germans run Yankee ones today (mind you they started over here in UK).

JB, as the Customer always knows best, you can have a three wheel beet wagon from me any time - I'll snip through the second axle of the next kit I sell you and provide one and a half axles worth. Always keen to oblige!

GSR800's idea for a boxed set is very prototypical.

Ron Pocklington told me that sometimes it took three A Class to take a Cork express. One would break down half way down The Gullet, the second would fail on the train and the third would work the train .....  So having an 800 around would be useful?

• Funny 1

I would actually think a "C" would be a good bet. They can be put in front of just about any branch train in the late 50s, goods in the 1960s, Dublin suburban in the 1980s, and NIR ballast in the 1990s!

They were at one time (when quite new) intended to be a diesel equivalent of a J15 - all sorts of jobs bar heavy expresses. Had they proven to be as good and reliable as the GMs, it's a reasonable assumption they might have got more of them, and they'd have been everywhere in the 1960s up to maybe 2000.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I would actually think a "C" would be a good bet. They can be put in front of just about any branch train in the late 50s, goods in the 1960s, Dublin suburban in the 1980s, and NIR ballast in the 1990s!

They were at one time (when quite new) intended to be a diesel equivalent of a J15 - all sorts of jobs bar heavy expresses. Had they proven to be as good and reliable as the GMs, it's a reasonable assumption they might have got more of them, and they'd have been everywhere in the 1960s up to maybe 2000.

Hopefully 🤞

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The B201 Class regularly worked Main Line Express Passenger and freight duties until they were concentrated on Dublin Suburban duties during the mid 1970s.

B233 & 234 regularly worked Heuston-Limerick via Nenagh passenger trains and Dublin-Limerick freight duties including Bulk Cement following their re-building with Maybach engines during the mid 60s.

B201s were rostered to work work a daily Heuston-Cork and a Heuston-Tralee Express and their return working, after CIE introduced a policy of speeding up services by operating frequent short passenger trains in the 1972 Timetable and the introduction of the MK2D Supertrains. Trains were decelerated and frequency cut back as Ireland went into re-cession as a result of the 73 Oil crisis and CIE reverted to its tradition of running slow-infrequent passenger trains that required double heading or more powerful locomotives.

The B201s continued to work freight trains on the Great Northern line at least into the late 70s, I spent a Saturday afternoon working (not railway) near Howth Junction in 77/78 as procession of B201 hauled Bulk Cement trains made there way between Platin and North-Wall.

Not just a branch line or Dublin Suburban passenger loco

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mayner said:

The B201 Class regularly worked Main Line Express Passenger and freight duties until they were concentrated on Dublin Suburban duties during the mid 1970s.

B233 & 234 regularly worked Heuston-Limerick via Nenagh passenger trains and Dublin-Limerick freight duties including Bulk Cement following their re-building with Maybach engines during the mid 60s.

B201s were rostered to work work a daily Heuston-Cork and a Heuston-Tralee Express and their return working, after CIE introduced a policy of speeding up services by operating frequent short passenger trains in the 1972 Timetable and the introduction of the MK2D Supertrains. Trains were decelerated and frequency cut back as Ireland went into re-cession as a result of the 73 Oil crisis and CIE reverted to its tradition of running slow-infrequent passenger trains that required double heading or more powerful locomotives.

The B201s continued to work freight trains on the Great Northern line at least into the late 70s, I spent a Saturday afternoon working (not railway) near Howth Junction in 77/78 as procession of B201 hauled Bulk Cement trains made there way between Platin and North-Wall.

That's interesting info Mayner. I remember those re engined c class locos were noisy buggers at full throttle, a lot more noisy than the re- engined A class ( which was noisy enough as it was). Wouldn't mind hearing one go by at full throttle now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mayner said:

It seems they were common on the Ardee branch until its closure and Boyne Road branch until the ‘80s. I’ve also seen a picture of them on the Kingscourt branch in the late ‘70s a while back — somewhere I hadn’t thought they had reached previously.

There is a 1969 photo of B206 passing Clondalkin at speed on a 6 coach 08:20 Tralee-Heuston in Irish Metrovick Diesels (Barry Carse). According to the B206 the first C to be re-built with a GM regularly worked the 08:00 Tralee-Heuston returning with the 19:00-Heuston Tralee. The train in the photo appears to be made up of 1950s built coaching stock at the time the newer Craven Coaches with their lightweight bodies and B4 bogies had a reputation of rough riding.

Barry noted that B206 only took 2hrs 25min with the 02:45 Heuston-Cork Newspaper train with 4 bogie vans with three stops.

The B201s featured for a short while on Cork trains during the 1973 timetable working the 13:30 Heuston-Cork  and 17:30 return with a load of 6-7MK2D coaches and also worked the 08:20 Connolly-Galway Day Mail and 09:25 Connolly-Sligo. Loads and running times for B201s on these trains were similar to the B181 Class.

The B201s with their Commonwealth bogies would have been steadier than the pure-bread GM locos and had the edge in terms of power and speed with an additional 165hp above the 567 engines B121 and B141 Class locos. That extra power with the 645 engine may have been a factor in the allocation of the B201s to Dublin-Suburban duties, they were sure noisy locomotives compared with the purebread EMs.

It looks like Drogheda used B201s for freight and trip-shunting duties, at one stage CIE operated Boyne Road-Platin Oil Trains between the opening of the Platin Plant and its conversion to coal burning during the late 70s/80s. B201s also operated Kingscourt Gypsum trains, there is a note in an IRRS Journal of an engine change at Navan swapping the B201 off an empty Platin-Kingscourt Gypsum for a 001 off a lightly laden Kingscourt-Platin . The 001 returned with a heavily laden Kingscourt-Castle Munget gypsum.

One of my favourite what if scenarios is B201s topping and tailing MK2D sets on Heuston-Limerick via Nenagh and Heuston-Waterford trains, CIE seriously considering introducing Push-Pull MK2D sets on these services during the early 70s even building a full size mock up MK2D driving cab. Topping and tailing with modern coaching stock was consistent with contemporary practice with Scottish Region topping and Tailing MK2 sets on Edinburgh-Glasgow Intercity Services, the NIR Enterprise and BR IC125 trains.

20 hours ago, Mayner said:

10 hours ago, Branchline121 said:

It seems they were common on the Ardee branch until its closure and Boyne Road branch until the ‘80s. I’ve also seen a picture of them on the Kingscourt branch in the late ‘70s a while back — somewhere I hadn’t thought they had reached previously.

12 minutes ago, Mayner said:

There is a 1969 photo of B206 passing Clondalkin at speed on a 6 coach 08:20 Tralee-Heuston in Irish Metrovick Diesels (Barry Carse). According to the B206 the first C to be re-built with a GM regularly worked the 08:00 Tralee-Heuston returning with the 19:00-Heuston Tralee. The train in the photo appears to be made up of 1950s built coaching stock at the time the newer Craven Coaches with their lightweight bodies and B4 bogies had a reputation of rough riding.

Barry noted that B206 only took 2hrs 25min with the 02:45 Heuston-Cork Newspaper train with 4 bogie vans with three stops.

The B201s featured for a short while on Cork trains during the 1973 timetable working the 13:30 Heuston-Cork  and 17:30 return with a load of 6-7MK2D coaches and also worked the 08:20 Connolly-Galway Day Mail and 09:25 Connolly-Sligo. Loads and running times for B201s on these trains were similar to the B181 Class.

The B201s with their Commonwealth bogies would have been steadier than the pure-bread GM locos and had the edge in terms of power and speed with an additional 165hp above the 567 engines B121 and B141 Class locos. That extra power with the 645 engine may have been a factor in the allocation of the B201s to Dublin-Suburban duties, they were sure noisy locomotives compared with the purebread EMs.

It looks like Drogheda used B201s for freight and trip-shunting duties, at one stage CIE operated Boyne Road-Platin Oil Trains between the opening of the Platin Plant and its conversion to coal burning during the late 70s/80s. B201s also operated Kingscourt Gypsum trains, there is a note in an IRRS Journal of an engine change at Navan swapping the B201 off an empty Platin-Kingscourt Gypsum for a 001 off a lightly laden Kingscourt-Platin . The 001 returned with a heavily laden Kingscourt-Castle Munget gypsum.

One of my favourite what if scenarios is B201s topping and tailing MK2D sets on Heuston-Limerick via Nenagh and Heuston-Waterford trains, CIE seriously considering introducing Push-Pull MK2D sets on these services during the early 70s even building a full size mock up MK2D driving cab. Topping and tailing with modern coaching stock was consistent with contemporary practice with Scottish Region topping and Tailing MK2 sets on Edinburgh-Glasgow Intercity Services, the NIR Enterprise and BR IC125 trains.

20 hours ago, Mayner said:

Indeed - main line too and quite common as such in early 70s before they had almost all gtraduated to Dublin suburban.

Thus, overall, an EXCELLENT choice for a RTR model.

• Like 3

Just to get everyone wound up again on this subject ...........

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

(Sorry fell asleep, it's hard to keep your concentration with these long-running sagas)

It's obvious it ain't anything Northern, or they wouldn't be doin' it in Wexford.

Where's Wexford, by the way? ......

Happy Easter, everyone and Thank the Lord for Bertie, (Tony - did I really say that?), Bill and the remarkable Senator Mitchell who managed to get our "politicians" to Give Peace a Chance.

Christos Anesti

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

If we get enough pints into whoever is representing IRM on the suit lee knot (if somone is going to be there) we might get a hint lol 

I'm tellin' yiz. It's going to be the Shannonvale horse, with DCC, also available in Fintona livery. There will be a foal, which will double as an "N" gauge version.

• Funny 7

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Patrick Davey said:

So what are the guesses for this announcement?

Impressive modern stuff recently (and imminently!) so maybe it's time for something to please the nostalgia-orientated folks like me.....

The steam announcement?

Rolling stock for the A classes?

JB's Fintona horse?

Something for my Bandon tank to haul would be my hope. We’re too near to the last announcement for something “powered” like a C class, AEC or 80 class

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Something's gotten a little closer?!

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/blogs/announcements

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 11.02.24.png

Hey thats cheating!

1 minute ago, BosKonay said:

There will also be an all-new tooling announcement at the Wexford show this weekend!

are you saying that there are going to be TWO announcements? presumably that means this one will be a re run release or a new livery. still fingers crossed on a dutch van :D 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2