IRM Announcements.

Rate this topic

Fowler4f

8 hours ago, BosKonay said:

I will confirm that this year we will, in addition to the mk2, ICR and other items announced and coming, launch a whole new range of coaches, wagons, units and locomotives :)

I can’t ask for any more. Roll on Bubbles, EGV’S, 29000’S & (071’s as mentioned previously)

Next month, my 6 Car & 4 Car 2200 Class sound fitted units will be paid  for along with the 4 sets of Mk2C like many others.

The two 3 Car sound fitted sets ordered, will be paid by Nov 2023, using Partial deposit and monthly payments before warehouse delivery.

Fingers Crossed. 🙏

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Plus, has anybody actually paid off their Mk2 coaches and ICRs yet? I know that I haven't!

I have, and have always paid up front anytime something I like is announced. That way I won't be caught short if there are other things on the horizon at the point of delivery For me right now would be an ideal time for an announcement.

4 hours ago, BosKonay said:

To be fair, we're not exactly stoking the froth :) :) When there is something to announce, we'll announce it :) Suffice to say there are many things underway and we'll share them at the right time.

I agree bit much is there will there etc every day. Longer it is the better as I can stash some few quid away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, BosKonay said:

I will confirm that this year we will, in addition to the mk2, ICR and other items announced and coming, launch a whole new range of coaches, wagons, units and locomotives :)

That suggests a new scale....or 21mm........ initial interest in 21mm had been gauged (ha) previously.....

Interesting Accurascale announcement today, lovely prototype!

So British outline modellers now have TWO Accurascale steam locos to look forward to......

Just sayin'.  

3 hours ago, Ironroad said:

I have, and have always paid up front anytime something I like is announced. That way I won't be caught short if there are other things on the horizon at the point of delivery For me right now would be an ideal time for an announcement.

You're one of the lucky ones...

I'll be scraping the pennies together all year just for those two!

19 hours ago, BosKonay said:

It's the locomotive bit that catches my interest.

As MM recently released the 121's and with more 141's/181's due for release, wouldn't make sense for it to be them due to market size.

From the most popular locomotive classes of the CIE era, that leaves C Class, 071's or current 201's or steam.

Any hints as to whether the plans are for steam or diesel locomotives?

An IRM Class 66 spec 071 or current day 201 Class would be most welcome.

The MM 071's and 201's were excellent models when first released and still are very good models, but with current model making techniques leading to much more refined and detailed models, an updated IRM spec version of either type would be epic to say the least.

Considering Accurascale bought the already excellent Hattons 66 tooling and further refined it, not beyond the realms of possibity for IRM to do the same with the MM 071 and/or 201 toolings.

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, iarnrod said:

Considering Accurascale bought the already excellent Hattons 66 tooling and further refined it, not beyond the realms of possibity for IRM to do the same with the MM 071 and/or 201 toolings.

I'm sure that was the first thing many of us thought when we read about the Hattons deal!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The best way the 071 class could be upgraded for a new release is to fit metal hand rails. It is very difficult to remove and replace the loco in the packaging without doing some damage to the side rails.  Many years ago I was given a TYCO US diesel and rudimentary as it was it came with metal hand rails and was very robust. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, spudfan said:

The best way the 071 class could be upgraded for a new release is to fit metal hand rails. It is very difficult to remove and replace the loco in the packaging without doing some damage to the side rails.  Many years ago I was given a TYCO US diesel and rudimentary as it was it came with metal hand rails and was very robust. 

Personally I prefer the moulded plastic handrails, they retain their shape and less prone to distortion or bending. Never had a problem getting loco out of the packaging. Should MM or A-another ever release a refresh of the 071 model the suggested improvements might be:

1. Magnetic hatch for easy access to decoder
  2. Stay alive capacitor
  3. Warm candescent coloured cab lights instead of the LED blue hue
  4. Independent operation of front and rear running lights (ie so red tail light should be off when coupled to a formation of stock).

Otherwise the 071 seems close to perfection as she stands. MM could probably sell a stack of rereleased freight grey livery and NIR blue livery models.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noel said:

1. Warm candescent coloured cab lights instead of the LED blue hue

What was the actual lighting like in the 071 cabs actually? Was it incandescent or fluorescent tubes? The headlights and marker lights are warm white on the models so it would be strange if the cab lighting was incorrect. I always just assumed the models were accurate in this regard but it sounds like they aren't? I will replace my LEDs if they are wrong. Not a massive job really.

10 hours ago, iarnrod said:

It's the locomotive bit that catches my interest.

As MM recently released the 121's and with more 141's/181's due for release, wouldn't make sense for it to be them due to market size.

From the most popular locomotive classes of the CIE era, that leaves C Class, 071's or current 201's or steam.

Any hints as to whether the plans are for steam or diesel locomotives?

An IRM Class 66 spec 071 or current day 201 Class would be most welcome.

The MM 071's and 201's were excellent models when first released and still are very good models, but with current model making techniques leading to much more refined and detailed models, an updated IRM spec version of either type would be epic to say the least.

I mean there's talk of new tooling of existing models but no talk of the big missing link and would go well with an upcoming release, the mk2s

Hell, I remember at the time there being a nod and wink to why they hadn't done the first Enterprise livery the coaches wore while working with the BoBos. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Hunslet announced shortly. 

• 2 weeks later...

To abate wobble of 'when is the next announcement' both AS and IRM news pages now have a simple countdown timer, showing the time of the next one :)

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/blogs/announcements

https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news

Both websites have also been upgraded, and are now 100% identical in terms of specification and functionality. 

1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

To abate wobble of 'when is the next announcement' both AS and IRM news pages now have a simple countdown timer, showing the time of the next one :)

Both websites have also been upgraded, and are now 100% identical in terms of specification and functionality. 

Awwww. The wobbling makes it all the more fun!

As an aside, does the AS website upgrade mean shipping to Las Canarias is now available for AS Exclusives, or is that still special charter airdrop only?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

Checked this out on Safari and got 'NaN' instead of numbers, moved to Chrome and it worked fine......

7 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Checked this out on Safari and got 'NaN' instead of numbers, moved to Chrome and it worked fine......

Odd i’ve tested on safari (mac and mobile) and works fine. What version / platform are you on? Perhaps try a deep refresh to clean out any cached bits of the website?

7 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Awwww. The wobbling makes it all the more fun!

As an aside, does the AS website upgrade mean shipping to Las Canarias is now available for AS Exclusives, or is that still special charter airdrop only?

It should be but will check this morning 

Am I massively oversimplifying things by assuming the C Class would have a lot of tooling similarities to the A Class already produced by IRM and that would reduce the outlay on producting a new model? If so, that'd surely make it favourite? Whilst they didn't survive into the IE era, which obviously reduces the number of livery variations, a few did of course get a third lease of life with NIR, which would make them a must buy for the many modellers that side of the border and widen their appeal. The launch of the Hattons Genesis coaches would also provide RTR coaches to run with the early livery variants. 

On 17/3/2023 at 9:03 PM, Sean said:

I draw the line on lungs...

C'mon now, you hardly need both...

Edited by Leyny
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leyny said:

Am I massively oversimplifying things by assuming the C Class would have a lot of tooling similarities to the A Class already produced by IRM and that would reduce the outlay on producting a new model? If so, that'd surely make it favourite? Whilst they didn't survive into the IE era, which obviously reduces the number of livery variations, a few did of course get a third lease of life with NIR, which would make them a must buy for the many modellers that side of the border and widen their appeal. The launch of the Hattons Genesis coaches would also provide RTR coaches to run with the early livery variants. 

C'mon now, you hardly need both...

In my opinion, yes.

I don't speak for IRM but I imagine that they would want to measure, scan and tool their next diesel from the ground up, similarities or not.