IRM A Class; Our First Locomotive!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Great choice, lads. All the very best with the production!

Lord, I'll be 73 when you get it to me.

Will A1 be the only one you'll do in silver, or do I have to wait until I'm 74 (if God grants...).

(Now what do I do with the two I've got already - I know, a diesel scrap line behind my steam shed .....)

Only kidding, a really great choice and you'll get my order soon - even if the Blessed Oliver never wanted to "Buy British".

Have a great show - I bet it has caused lots of excitement and rightly too. If I'd been there, I'd be along with €50 right now.

Leslie 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant announcement and sure to be a winner for IRM.

Will the Supertrain models have tablet catchers and older type windscreens?

Website seems to show updated windscreens for this version but CIE Supertrain liveried ones ran most, if not all, of their lives in this livery with older type windscreens.

Fair play lads in any case. The missing piece in the main CIE model loco fleet has just been filled.

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Will A1 be the only one you'll do in silver, or do I have to wait until I'm 74 (if God grants...).

Hi Leslie! We're doing A1 and A30 in 'original' Silver Livery in this run

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/silver?grid_list=grid-view

50 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

Brilliant announcement and sure to be a winner for IRM.

Will the Supertrain models have tablet catchers and older type windscreens?

Website seems to show updated windscreens for this version but CIE Supertrain liveried ones ran most, if not all, of their lives in this livery with older type windscreens.

Fair play lads in any case. The missing piece in the main CIE model loco fleet has just been filled.

Thanks Iarnrod,

There was a little rush on the livery renders for launch, but 100% rest assured that each individual will be 100% as accurate as we can make it, we're tooling all versions of the two major engine rebuilds, tablet catchers, window-frames / screens and a massive number of details that would possibly even go unnoticed, to ensure maximum fidelity!

This could be the push I need to give up the smokes!! ( but not the stout).

I' m modelling Pettigo on the Bundoran branch, as it might have been had it lasted until the summer of 1963. Hence I'm especially interested in the livery variants appropriate to that period.

I have a copy of the old Irish Railfans News, August 1969 issue, which contains an article on the various liveries applied, up to that point, to the A class.

This prompts a question (and I realise you guys are rather busy at the moment): you list A46 as Lined Green. The article mentioned above says that A46 initially carried the Silver livery and then in May 1958 appeared in Dark Green with a Light Green waistband. Then in late 1960, it was repainted in the Light Green scheme, with no waistband. In essence, the question is: will the green be the dark or light version. Same question applies to A42.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to consider a Siver version for a layout set in 1963; there were some still about then ( in fact, A16 was repainted in early 1962 in the original silver livery) ; they were so dirty that even the most skilled 'weather-er' might not be willing to go that far!

I have a memory of seeing an 0 gauge model of the A class, in the silver livery, in either Brown Thomas or Switzers. These were not the sort of shops we frequented as a family, so I imagine the shops were running some form of promotion for CIE and hence my mother brought me to the shop. I'm pretty certain that Cyril Fry built it.

Very many thanks for bringing these magnificent thought flawed beasts to the model market.

Glover

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, heirflick said:

Ah Jaysus lads - did I pick the wrong time to retire!!!🙄 Great news and every success with it. Will be ordering when I make up my mind which to order in order of priority.  One question...will there be a model in supertrain livery with no caws fitted?

Hi Seamus 

yes we’ll confirm which number it is ASAP!

And 027, the only one to be fitted with airbrakes for the shale wagons. 

Great announcement today, if I hadn't spent the guts of a grand on the liners before discovering I could pre order the A class I would have paid up front in full,deposit will have to do for now. 

Nice chatting to Rich and Fran as always, poor lads looked knackered even at 11am.

The fantastic Rawie buffer stop not getting a lookin with the A class haha. Some very interesting info from Rich in the buffers, much appreciated. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Railer said:

And 027, the only one to be fitted with airbrakes for the shale wagons. 

Great announcement today, if I hadn't spent the guts of a grand on the liners before discovering I could pre order the A class I would have paid up front in full,deposit will have to do for now. 

Nice chatting to Rich and Fran as always, poor lads looked knackered even at 11am.

The fantastic Rawie buffer stop not getting a lookin with the A class haha. Some very interesting info from Rich in the buffers, much appreciated. 

Hi Graham,

029 got the air brakes. We might go full crazy and do it in the future release!

Thanks for all the positive comments on the A so far. We are flat out at the show but we will work to answer your questions in the evening and over the weekend!

i need my bed....

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Glover said:

Somebody has to ask the question: will there be space to fit a smoke unit to the original Crossley engined versions..............

Glover (for the avoidance of doubt, tongue in cheek)

We did actually seriously explore the idea of including one with the specification but decided against it as perhaps a little bit too much of a gimmick however there will be space and provision made should you wish to fit one yourself

Glover, young boy - give up the fags - then you can afford every livery you can imagine!

I only ever puffed cigars and now I can't walk up hills because of my COPD. You want to have decades more to run trains through your famous station (remember my house is named "Pettigo Fair" - the Fair was on the day (established from the GNR Weekly Notices in the IRRS Archive) on which The Boss was born, hence the name.

The loco is sure to be a winner - almost as many variants as the J15s!

• Like 2

Somebody has to ask the question: will there be space to fit a smoke unit to the original Crossley engined versions..............

Nothing daft about that question, Glover, the real things were notorious smoke producers. But it would need to be a very high quality unit which blasted out more, depending on the torque the loco was producing at the time - Maybe not.........  Add a hundred Euros to the price!

• Like 1

Well, gents caps off to IRM for taking this commercial risk by the horns and giving it a good shake. With 18 variations on a theme pretty well all bases covered for day to day operation . The oil launcher and smoke belcher  versions look to the future of DCC control but would be fun at times - along with random failures built into the chip to force rescue by modeller operators..

As one the "its A classic" moment in several posts  a personal thanks and no pressure intended.

looking   to order two in CIE and an IR version so off to pay deposits now 

Rest easy and thanks for renders from CADs - look fine to me will have to leave the micro tweaks to real experts on here . Now off to work on resin model. .... :-bd

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

3 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Rest easy and thanks for renders from CADs - look fine to me will have to leave the micro tweaks to real experts on here . Now off to work on resin model. .... :-bd

Thanks for building the resin version, just might have been enough momentum to get these!  Fantastic news IRM - seventeen locos planned😂

Any chance someone could publish the years the locos ran in the liveries shown or point me to a website?  Thanks

• Like 1