IRISH TRACTION-Iarnrod Eireann book

Rate this topic

ttc0169

Highly recommended recently released book for all modellers that enjoyed the heyday of classic diesel locomotives and liner trains of all descriptions,

Very useful for recreating in model form the various types of freight trains that operated around Ireland during the late 1980s through to the 2000s,

Well done to the author Colm O'Callaghan for putting together such a fantastic collection of photographic memories.

https://www.amberley-books.com/current-month/irish-traction-iarnrod-eireann.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered this book from the book depository a week or so ago for €13.80 which is a steal it's the price of a couple of magazines . The book arrived today appropriately enough by An Post !. It's a wonderful book from one of the great photographers of the Irish scene covering mid 1980's to the present day with about 200 illustrations and detailed captions covering all classes of locomotives on passenger ,freight and PWD . This book is a must for anyone wanting to model the Irish scene over the past 30 years .

Just checked online the book depository is now showing out of stock I imagine it's selling faster than they anticipated, this maybe one of these sought after books selling on ebay for a fortune in years to come . Get it while you can!.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, flange lubricator said:

Ordered this book from the book depository a week or so ago for €13.80 which is a steal it's the price of a couple of magazines . The book arrived today appropriately enough by An Post !. It's a wonderful book from one of the great photographers of the Irish scene covering mid 1980's to the present day with about 200 illustrations and detailed captions covering all classes of locomotives on passenger ,freight and PWD . This book is a must for anyone wanting to model the Irish scene over the past 30 years .

Just checked online the book depository is now showing out of stock I imagine it's selling faster than they anticipated, this maybe one of these sought after books selling on ebay for a fortune in years to come . Get it while you can!.

Also available on AbeBooks at the same price after conversion and free shipping to the USA!

• Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 2:59 PM, DiveController said:

Actually I just realized that AbeBooks is also sold out now (although they're still advertising more than 10 available). It's a good sign for the book. I'm sure more will become available in due course if anyone has missed out

ABE is not a single bookesller, but covers hundreds of booksellers, so you'll find the book elsewhere without doubt.

Usually, I'd offer to provide one through The Syndicate (so helping Irish preservation), but our trade price is what some other sellers are selling them retail at!

Wordery - see earlier post - is still offering it at under ten quid.

Looks a nice book. We sold four out of the five we took to the IRRS meeting last Thursday.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 1

Plenty on here now if Santa needs any, 'more than 10 available', but these sites aren't actually updated that often and there might be 2 left, who knows? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Irish-Traction-Iarnrod-Eireann-by-Colm-OCallaghan-9781445688442-Brand-New/303352857174?epid=16035107663&hash=item46a13d4256:g:H0YAAOSwqOddxAvr

Just realized that this is what Leslie was talking about, Wordery

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 11:19 PM, ttc0169 said:

Highly recommended recently released book for all modellers that enjoyed the heyday of classic diesel locomotives and liner trains of all descriptions,

Very useful for recreating in model form the various types of freight trains that operated around Ireland during the late 1980s through to the 2000s,

Well done to the author Colm O'Callaghan for putting together such a fantastic collection of photographic memories.

https://www.amberley-books.com/current-month/irish-traction-iarnrod-eireann.html

Pre ordered mine, not a big book, but great photos

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 1:11 PM, heirflick said:

Got mine yesterday and I have a duplication of 15 pages in it...for nothing  -  or am I missing 15 pages that were not included?:confused:  Anyway its a fantastic reference for any modeller who wants to replicate the freight trains of the period they want!

Well, contacted the Book Depository and they were brilliant about it.   New copy on the way :dancing:

Screenshot_20191223-105620_Outlook.jpg

Got my copy on December 27th - the perfect post Christmas present.  I knew this was going to be a cracker and it certainly is.  This book really sums up how good our railways were not too long ago. The variety we had is all summed up in this superb book. Get it while you can and see in great detail how good our railways used to be.  !

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 2:09 AM, DiveController said:

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post but the very first picture in the book shows 111 (not 112) with a train of bubbles from Cabra iirc. Was just wondering why 111 was so far out of her native territory?

In late 1997 and in the spring of 1998 111 replaced 112 temporarily as 112 was getting work done to it. In the beet campaign of 1997 111 spent some time in Mallow doing trip workings of sugar beet between Mallow Station and Mallow Beet Factory Sidings, when the beet campaign finished it was sent back to the Dublin Area were it spent January and February working the Cabra cement and the bogie bulkers  between Drogheda and North Wall, it eventually returned to Belfast. 112 is probably the best of the 3 and in recent years workings of 111 and 113 are rare south of the border, it's always 112 that works south if and when required.

Regards

h.gricer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1