Irish Footbridge - Expression of Interest

Rate this topic

RobertRoche

I am seeking expressions of interest in a simple kit of my Irish Footbridge Model in 4mm scale.

The model will be 3D printed in Ireland and comes in three parts. The model is based on the footbridge at Wellingtonbridge, Co. Wexford and is fairly typical of similar footbridges which can be seen across the network. Another example of a similar footbridge is at Athy.

The footbridge will be suitable for use across a double track platform or across a double track mainline at grade. Please note the following dimensions:

• Clear width below centre span is 145mm.
  • Clear height of 65mm when used at grade (i.e. not on a platform).
  • Total footbridge width (including stairs on both sides) is 180mm.
  • Total height is 85mm.
  • Length (parallel to the track) is 85mm.
  • Please advise if the clear width of 145mm is too narrow as I may be able to increase it to 160mm. The final dimensions are based on what can fit in the printer.

The example below was printed on my own 3D printer however the clear width below the centre span of this example is only 110mm due to the limits of my own machine. The computer generated image shows the model that will be available.

I am looking to produce a limited run (minimum of 10 kits) with a price of €35 each. Postage cost of €5 to Ireland. Payment is not required until the bridges are ready to be shipped.

It should be noted that this model is quite delicate though it can be safely handled as one piece when completed. The model will require assembly and painting. Assembly is limited to gluing the stairs sections to the central bridge section.

Please leave any comments or expressions of interest below. The estimated delivery time for a small run would be about two months.

1.png.e43bed604e77609f4710742809ab4df6.png

2.thumb.JPG.2bca0a8a4339298ce0344b82f7c62bea.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.3cff46256feb90300b47eb903f349401.JPG

6.thumb.png.1a97a164fcf2fcd880162a0f1aaea4bc.png

4.thumb.JPG.6d378cc4da506ccce289352222709843.JPG

• Like 12
  • WOW! 4

57 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Why not offer a few different bridge span lengths, to appeal to a wider audience?

Would there be some way of making the stairs reversible?

Thanks. The width is based off the Hornby straight track geometry. The green Hornby footbridge is significantly wider to deal with curves and other situations. It would be good to get some feedback on widths as it is something to definitely think about.

33 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Quite a project , and count me in for one  for a cross platform one.    It will look good with beet wagons "thundering" past. 

Yes it's a good image!

7 minutes ago, SugarBeet said:

I'd definitely be interested in one too if you'd post to the UK

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks!

• Like 1

The one thing I will add is that the come in all different shapes and sizes!

11448170756_1fdb9a7ea3.jpg.d5ea4bacc2f47a45a2125dd1bf465db9.jpg

Clonakilty juction had one spanning 3 platforms and 4 tracks!825194688_unnamed(2).jpg.97dfb6791af5d2e64e6b3c67ca3059a0.jpg

This one at tipperary has the stairs orientated in different directions 

potential designs for adding a centre section extra and being able to rotate the stairs as mentioned earlier might be beneficial (it would have to be divided into preices due to restricted printer size ect)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Noel said:

Assume they could be assembled in slightly different formations (ie opposing steps, etc). What is the distance between each side of the bridge (ie inner most supports).

Not sure about options Noel, it's certainly noted! The width between the sets of stairs is about 145mm at the moment.

@RobertRocheFollowing up on my brief comments on FB --
I'd certainly be interested in at least one or two.  Thank you for all your design labor and effort; wonderful talent.  I wish I could learn this wonderful skill you possess.

Perhaps you might consider how such an intricate structure could be easily harmed in shipment or handling.  You might want to consider interchangeability for variations, too.  Maybe consider these suggestions:
-- separate the legs and their upper connecting frame (below the deck) into one piece;

-- maybe curve the handrails and latticework for the crosswalk structure above the upper landings;

-- separate the stairway structures so that they can mount on the legs and square leg frames;

-- print the crosswalk either as one longer length, or as two halves that can be joined in the middle with narrow reinforcing, intersecting plates.

-- consider adding an insertable straight crosswalk section, to allow the different configurations that @Westcorkrailwayshowed in the posted photos.  

With interchangeable segments of legs, stairs, and crosswalk, you might expand your potential buyers.  Wonderful, admirable work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthWallDocker said:

@RobertRocheFollowing up on my brief comments on FB --
I'd certainly be interested in at least one or two.  Thank you for all your design labor and effort; wonderful talent.  I wish I could learn this wonderful skill you possess.

Perhaps you might consider how such an intricate structure could be easily harmed in shipment or handling.  You might want to consider interchangeability for variations, too.  Maybe consider these suggestions:
-- separate the legs and their upper connecting frame (below the deck) into one piece;

-- maybe curve the handrails and latticework for the crosswalk structure above the upper landings;

-- separate the stairway structures so that they can mount on the legs and square leg frames;

-- print the crosswalk either as one longer length, or as two halves that can be joined in the middle with narrow reinforcing, intersecting plates.

-- consider adding an insertable straight crosswalk section, to allow the different configurations that @Westcorkrailwayshowed in the posted photos.  

With interchangeable segments of legs, stairs, and crosswalk, you might expand your potential buyers.  Wonderful, admirable work.

Yea i think interchangable sections of some sort would be great for a potential design but if not the main (not including the single one) ones are...

Standered double track like the ones on the limerick waterford line

691844656_download(8).jpeg.15c70678106e2b70a429ba7ae7977c72.jpeg

A big multiplatform one simular to the clonakilty junction one but this goes for any major station 

DQd7yWGWkAAAQSJ.jpg.6002b3d193b6b396f11b845183c68416.jpg

The other one is the triple track bridge. I think these are seen at Crossbarry and Tiperary town.

FB_IMG_1613334758886.jpg.59f8fcd25d4ec58d49cb6c84573c8dc6.jpg

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, NorthWallDocker said:

Thank you for your kind comments and observations. I did consider at least creating parts for both the 'C-shape' layout and a 'Z-shape' layout but I thought it would be good to keep it simple to start with. I wanted to gauge interest and to see what people might want.

5 minutes ago, RedRich said:

That's a fantastic project and such an iconic part of most stations.

Thanks, it certainly is iconic...they're everywhere!

2 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

It certainly has come out very well

Is there an Option for a Platform mounted on with less high supports?

Thanks George. Certainly something I can think about!

• Like 1