new murphys products

Rate this topic

mphoey

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Just Hope to hell that the plans don't include an Avalanche of all of these products 2 weeks before xmas 2021 and they are released in a nice steady fashion.

Fingers crossed that the releases are phased to allow us time to harvest organs etc.

IR Mk2D's first, please!

😍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Fingers crossed that the releases are phased to allow us time to harvest organs etc.

IR Mk2D's first, please!

😍

As tempting as they might be I'm not sure I want to have a dual dual location/dual era layout as opposed to my present single era one location/dual era other location layout. Otherwise matters are only going to get crazier!

I can see I'm not going to be able to resist and it is going to become dual dual! Oh dear! 

• Funny 3

Bad news for this poor individual however. I hope they were UK based at least or this would have been a whopping £420 for a used Inter City 201.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Murphy-Models-201-Class-229-Inter-City-River-Maine-MM0229/143955901514?hash=item218470bc4a:g:860AAOSwSUBgMo9O&autorefresh=true

They'll be kicking themselves when they read this stream!

• Funny 1

It’s a very welcome announcement and one which I will support when the products are released

I'm sure that Paddy Murphy has taken into account the slight changes that have taken place to the 201 class locomotives since the initial release of the models all of ten years ago now,

All of the active 201s have received a bodywork overhaul and in particular to the marker lights have changed to a curved profile,

The Enterprise and common user liveried locomotives have an additional  socket on cab 2 for the MMI on the De Dietrich coaching stock,

See attached photos,

C924FEA0-88E4-4139-B938-EDB4F7E417AB.jpeg

5796EC8D-FCF1-4195-BC92-4A5DD16660EB.jpeg

B5A65F7A-5934-49B1-8F55-CEE5E52DBC55.jpeg

AF4E766F-0DEB-4D6F-8CB3-575B777103BF.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Dempsey said:

Dos anyone know the story behind the black and silver 201? Is it a test livery? 

It’s a common user livery with locomotives 231 and 233 able to work both the Enterprise and Mk4 trains. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

6 minutes ago, Strimmers said:

I think an element of it aswell was that the new IE logo had a tri colour in it so to avoid any possible conflicts

Yes thats true and i do think the new IE logo looks nicer on the 201s then the previous intercity decals. Great to see locos currently on the mainline being moddeled

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rob said:

Seems Hattons couldn't find an image with the current IÉ logo to show what actually is being produced 😀😀

20210302_004011.jpg

Well done MM and Patrick Murphy bow.gif This is staggeringly great news. Now there’ll be plenty of finescale Irish coaches for 201s and the imminent A class to haul. You must be delighted Rob to hear about the mk3s in particular. Doh I’ve just finished respraying a rake, but will still be delighted in time to buy two rakes of the MM mk3 to go with two A classes and existing 071s. Time for a bit of time travel in my case. :) 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

How do you do pre-orders for something without a price yet? 

Also my hope is that 226 River Suir is put out in new IE livery.....alas ill just have to wait and see

You throw a dart at the dartboard and hope you land within the range of what the RRP will be. If you aim too low you have to increase your prices. This is why we will wait until everything is confirmed before advertising. We also wont oversell on quantities and leave people disappointed by missing out. 

• Like 4

With Hattons the pre-order is only charged to the card once the item is in stock and is being shipped or placed in the trunk, but of course you have no idea what you're agreeing to placing a pre-order for a product that far in advance. I think it's really more than a bit premature to be sticking up vague placeholders for products that are possibly over a year away, but it's their business I suppose.

• Like 3

I managed to scratch together a single rake of IE mk2ds last summer including an EGV but then they started being advertised for absolutely silly money at which point I said "I'm out" so this news (while not entirely unexpected following some hints from a certain member here lol) is really more than welcome. IR is a bit better for me too as I'm modelling 1994-1995.

I'm glad I made a conscious decision not to start collecting BR mk3's for respraying in the hope that mk3's would be released RTR over the coming years!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

You throw a dart at the dartboard and hope you land within the range of what the RRP will be. If you aim too low you have to increase your prices. This is why we will wait until everything is confirmed before advertising. We also wont oversell on quantities and leave people disappointed by missing out. 

Interesting strategy! 

Again can't be underestimated this announcement. Fair play to paddy murphy for re releasing some of these coaches and the 201s. One of the biggest complaints about irish modeling was ebay prices for existing models. 150 euro for 1 peice of rolling stock and 300-450 for some locos!

13 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Today is National Positive Mental Attitude day.

Thankfully not in the UK, My wife says I am only one of the four words and its not the first two or the last one!

I have pre-ordered from Hattons for many years and whilst you don't pay up front on a number of occasions the order was cancelled by them as they didn't receive enough stock from the manufacturers.  I noticed yesterday that I had requested an e-mail for pre-ordering a new Hornby model. The email hasn't been sent and the model is now sold out on pre-order. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Fiacra said:

Jaysus, this is mind-blowing news! No more hunting on eBay for tippex mk2ds or, indeed, mk3s! I had long given up on ever finding a tippex mk2d EGV.  

Fiacra, just a tip if you found a black roofed mk2d EGV its a fairly quick easy job to remove and repaint just the roof back to matching orange, alternatively respray a Galway mk2d EGV to tippex livery, more of a total respray job, or finally if you can get your hands on the most recent MM Super Train livery mk2 EGV, its a relatively simple matter to put tippex white stripes on it and IR intercity logo on the sides using only transfers, no paint needed, just a brush of varnish to seal afterwards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

With Hattons the pre-order is only charged to the card once the item is in stock and is being shipped or placed in the trunk, but of course you have no idea what you're agreeing to placing a pre-order for a product that far in advance. I think it's really more than a bit premature to be sticking up vague placeholders for products that are possibly over a year away, but it's their business I suppose.

3 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I have pre-ordered from Hattons for many years and whilst you don't pay up front on a number of occasions the order was cancelled by them as they didn't receive enough stock from the manufacturers.  I noticed yesterday that I had requested an e-mail for pre-ordering a new Hornby model. The email hasn't been sent and the model is now sold out on pre-order. 

I agree it may be premature of Hattons to advertise these items and indeed for anyone to pre order without ultimately knowing the bottom line but the frenzy of buying at the point of release of  of Irish models is difficult to deal with and I prefer to try to secure what I want ahead of that. Missing out is disastrous and leaves us at the mercy of mercenaries on EBay.   But a word of caution,  a preorder with Hattons is not necessarily secure.  It would seem they don't have the courtesy to advise they are sold out on pre-order nor do they operate on a first come first served basis. For example I  pre-ordered eight 121s as early as April 2019, I only got six of these. One was cancelled arbitrarily by Hattons the other is still recorded as being on pre-order and Hattons are still insisting the will supply when they get it, but that is nonsense.   One other thing to be aware of is that if you update your credit card information in your profile on the Hattons website, this does not change the credit card details associated with your pre orders and you must also separately update the credit card info on each order.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

I agree it may be premature of Hattons to advertise these items and indeed for anyone to pre order without ultimately knowing the bottom line but the frenzy of buying at the point of release of  of Irish models is difficult to deal with and I prefer to try to secure what I want ahead of that. Missing out is disastrous and leaves us at the mercy of mercenaries on EBay.   But a word of caution,  a preorder with Hattons is not necessarily secure.  It would seem they don't have the courtesy to advise they are sold out on pre-order nor do they operate on a first come first served basis. For example I  pre-ordered eight 121s as early as April 2019, I only got six of these. One was cancelled arbitrarily by Hattons the other is still recorded as being on pre-order and Hattons are still insisting the will supply when they get it, but that is nonsense.   One other thing to be aware of is that if you update your credit card information in your profile on the Hattons website, this does not change the credit card details associated with your pre orders and you must also separately update the credit card info on each order.

Part of the problem is a small number of collectors/investors and traders who bulk buy a large amount of stock at the time of a new release, but then drip feed them onto the market some years later when supply is becoming constrained. Btw, I am not referring to normal hobby retailers in this respect such as IRM, Marks, Hattons, Rails, etc. This reduces the supply to the ordinary model railway entusiasts who often seek to buy just one or two items to actually use and run on their layouts. Free market and all that. I get a sense this may have been a factor in the recent 121s virtually selling out so fast. With MMs recent announcement and IRM we are probably safe and guaranteed good supply of new and re-released Irish models for decades to come.

• Like 2

Definitely. I'd love to see class leader 201 released in delivery livery. I'd buy any available 201s in the delivery livery, I think there were only two (203, 220) released previously in delivery livery and I have these. Also suit the Galway liveried mk2s which were actually designed to match.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

I really hope the mk3's come with scale width bogies that allow for an easy conversion to 21mm like the IRM bogie stock.

Hmmm! Interesting the mk3s were built based on BRs loading gauge for their UK mk3s so the bodies were not widened for our 5'3" unlike the wider Cravens which matched the Irish loading gauge. Would 21mm bogies look visually over scale with only 16.5mm wheel axles? If feedback is correct it seems there may be more fingers on a hand than the number of modellers with 21mm gauge layouts. Some models designed to accommodate 21mm conversion can look disproportionate with rather unsightly sideways overhang of bogies or axle boxes (ie protruding too far from under the body), but wheels almost completely out of sight. Its also virtually impossible to convert model steam locos to 21mm unless built for 21mm from scratch.