new murphys products

Rate this topic

mphoey

4 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Ahhh perfect, I remember seeing that Bachman set when I was young and wanting one, unfortunately Back then, I was light years away from being able to afford it.
Somone aught to convince UK companies to make a similar set again…..and then Hornby would try to copy it and sell it for cheaper!

I think the Bachmann '2700-esque' set was a commission between Mark's and Graham's at the time (and possibly a Northern shop?). 

Not accurate I know but I can see appeal of it as an impressionistic model. As a little lad I had a n-gauge battery TGV set in orange and black (anyone remember them, a sort of plastic black track? I had a HST one too). Anyway, I used to 'play' with the two orange and black centre cars, pretending they were the 'Arrow' trains I saw dash by grand-aunt's place in Ballyfermot. Again, not accurate but keeps kids interested by giving them something they can relate to.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Noel said:

Certainly not, travelled to Galway on AEC 2600 in the 1960s and regularly from Bray to City before the Dort

Same operations as a modern railcar. Forward and back. No running around. No shunting. No releasing the loco etc. I see no difference between them and a 22k set operationally...do you?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

Same operations as a modern railcar. Forward and back. No running around. No shunting. No releasing the loco etc. I see no difference between them and a 22k set operationally...do you?

Yea fair cop to a degree, but they can in the glory days of CIE with stations still had track work and points and AEC sets sometimes had other coaching stock marshalled into their mid formations so not totally uniform. As a passenger I dislike the 22k sets because they are so uncomfortable with their hard seats and noisy cabins (ie engines under the floor), and they are the reason most stations have been rationalised to the extent that they have no points, no loops, hardly any track left. Waterford is a point in case, just half of the old bay platform left from what was once a railway metropolis. The ICRs (mere DMUs) have facilitated rationalisation that signalled the destruction of the old railway network. Can't stop progress, just great nostalgia memory for the good old days when the railways were really interesting and an assault on the senses instead of a plastic hum. All one would need for a toy 22k model would be a circle of track, points not needed, yoyo land. Baby GM a heating van and a single laminate had so much more visual and operational character. Operating AECs wouldn't be top drawer but nostalgic. I can't see anybody remembering the plastic 22k's with much affection in 40 years time. Even the long 201 peat briquettes, while locos are rather boring compared to the distinctive shapes of the earlier GM locos. Ah too many childhood memories of trains splitting at Mullingar for Galway and Sligo, which much noise and shunting, a bygone age. You had to remember which coach to sit in to ensure you arrived at the correct destination. :) That'd be fun in an aircraft.

PS: Later 2600 were push pull loco operated (eg Bray line pre-dart)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm waiting for the punchline Connolly!

Ah Noel it's not fair to lay into stuff you personally don't find interesting, just because. Let's look at the 201 for a second. You said it is like a peat briquette because it's not an interesting shape like the other GMs but the Sulzers, A and C classes were also flat sided locos but I know you love the A's and would presumably buy a Sulzer in B&T if one was available. I think you just don't find these things aesthetically appealing but it seems it's mostly to do with age and your associated memories. But you need to appreciate that you are laying into the memories of the 15 year old modeller on here who doesn't remember a 121 or a Craven in service nevermind an A Class and I'm too young to remember anything much before IR and I'm "only" 43.

I think we should count our lucky stars we still have a railway. Freight might just make a comeback due to the green agenda coming to the fore and as freight virtually disappeared from most of the network in the mid 2000's it's the yo yo passenger yokes that have effectively kept the remaining network operational due to being reasonably cost effective to operate, so let's not be too hard on them eh?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

On 28/1/2022 at 7:39 PM, GSR 800 said:

To each their own and all that like...

This x 1000.

There are models that do not interest me personally but I dont go out of my way to dump all over them. If someone is able to produce and sell them whether it's a 22k or a J15 fair play to them. If you dont like them dont buy them. Others will be glad to have them on their layouts.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, connollystn said:

@DJ Dangerous - Can't see a RTR model of the 22 000 being produced this side of my 70th birthday.

Not if your 70th is this year anyway! Boskonay said a year from samples to sales, so no samples means no sales.

☹️

Still, he also said that there may be a "powered" announcement this year. My money is on a 2600, which would be frikkin' awesome, and would leave me closer to being homeless, but we could be even luckier if it turns out to be a 22000.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Ah Noel it's not fair to lay into stuff you personally don't find interesting, just because. Let's look at the 201 for a second. You said it is like a peat briquette because it's not an interesting shape like the other GMs but the Sulzers, A and C classes were also flat sided locos but I know you love the A's and would presumably buy a Sulzer in B&T if one was available. I think you just don't find these things aesthetically appealing but it seems it's mostly to do with age and your associated memories. But you need to appreciate that you are laying into the memories of the 15 year old modeller on here who doesn't remember a 121 or a Craven in service nevermind an A Class and I'm too young to remember anything much before IR and I'm "only" 43.

I think we should count our lucky stars we still have a railway. Freight might just make a comeback due to the green agenda coming to the fore and as freight virtually disappeared from most of the network in the mid 2000's it's the yo yo passenger yokes that have effectively kept the remaining network operational due to being reasonably cost effective to operate, so let's not be too hard on them eh?

Agreed, it IS bashing of everybody elses opinions, constantly at that, and it's inappropriate.

It also leads to conflict. When people are goaded enough with the constant knocking of their opinions, they'll eventually retalliate and lash out in return, possibly lambasting the old stuff from before their time, that they don't remember.

Then, one posts a survey to ask what people would buy, multiple choice options, and because of ones own negativity, those who may have bought stuff from previous eras now say no way, only my era.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Agreed, it IS bashing of everybody elses opinions, constantly at that, and it's inappropriate.

It also leads to conflict. When people are goaded enough with the constant knocking of their opinions, they'll eventually retalliate and lash out in return, possibly lambasting the old stuff from before their time, that they don't remember.

Then, one posts a survey to ask what people would buy, multiple choice options, and because of ones own negativity, those who may have bought stuff from previous eras now say no way, only my era.

Spot on, Dave. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JasonB said:

That would be something special. 

They're still running today, after what, 25 or 30 years? They've carried about three liveries. They've been everywhere on the network. So, they would appeal to (and sell to) a massive number of modellers.

On the downside, they're less than sixty years old, have flat sides and never ran in black and tan, so Noel will lose his shit if they're released before an AEC railcar, burning his IRM stock at the stake.

A low-detail 2600 at a glance seems like a great way to bring younger folk, and folk on a budget, into the hobby, but I have a hazy memory of Boskonay saying that there was no viable way of having a "Railroad" version of an IRM product on the shelves. Not fully sure on the exact quote, though.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

They're still running today, after what, 25 or 30 years? They've carried about three liveries. They've been everywhere on the network. So, they would appeal to (and sell to) a massive number of modellers.

Yep, still knocking about, close on 30 years now. I've never been a huge fan of DMU's, but have always had a soft spot for the 2600. When they were introduced into service around 94/95, they blended in quite well with everything that was still running at time. Still plenty of freight and loco hauled passenger services back then. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Thinking aloud, a 2600 and a 2800 have a bit in common, (one of the most noticeable differences being the roof). Purely a thought exercise but I imagine one tooling could be used as a basis, allowing for tweaks. 

That said, I don't think a high fidelty model to the standard we've become used to would work in the 'starter'/'train set' market; aside from price it's not something you'd really want kids handling. That's where stuff like the Bachmann Commuter set fits in nicely.

There's a mad amount of livery variants even within one basic colour scheme. From memory, the orange sets lost their 'Arrow' branding after a point, the 2800s carried 'NDP' logs, there was more than one variant of the 'Commuter' livery too.

As for a 22000/ICR, it's not something I'd be emptying my bank account for personally but I can appreciate the appeal for many. Then again I'm also a weirdo who likes 201s just as much as 071s... (neither are a patch on a Bo-Bo though :) ).

Edited by Niles
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

13 hours ago, murphaph said:

Fair comment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/1/2022 at 9:47 PM, warb said:

23/24 years ago Marks Models was producing resin kits to scale i.e. 141's/201's way above what was being produced at the time.

have one of those 141s and 201 kits from marks

On 30/1/2022 at 9:54 AM, DJ Dangerous said:

Not if your 70th is this year anyway! Boskonay said a year from samples to sales, so no samples means no sales.

☹️

Still, he also said that there may be a "powered" announcement this year. My money is on a 2600, which would be frikkin' awesome, and would leave me closer to being homeless, but we could be even luckier if it turns out to be a 22000.

i wonder will it be a steamer this year after all they have started doing steam in accruscale now 

• Like 2

Hi all,

Got a few questions to ask as I am curious.

First Question: Were the Murphy Models Cravens, 201s, 071s and 121s produced by Bachmann? If so was it Kader Holdings who produced them? The packaging got with the Cravens and Mark 2s (produced from 2011) don't feature any Bachmann Branchline logos on them like the packaging for the 141s and 181s.

Second Question: Why is Paddy Murphy selling his products on Irish Railway Models?

Third Question: What factory is making IRM's locos, wagons and coaches? Is it the Accurscale Factory?

Fourth Question: Is IRM helping Murphy Models with the production run of the new 201s, Mark 2s and Mark 3s?

I would be grateful for anyone who could answer my questions.    

Bachmann only made the 141/181's for MM. Any MM product released after them were made by whatever factory or factories MM uses.

I think it was IRM decided to stock MM products on their website, and not the other way around. I'm sure one of the IRM lads might give a better explanation,  but in a small niche market like the model Irish railway scene, it makes perfect sense for the two main manufacturers to work together and help each other out.

IRM and Accurascale are one of the same, and I would presume use the same factory or factories to produce their products. Again,  one of the IRM lads might explain better, but I can't see them revealing what factory they use as I would presume that there are certain commercial sensitivities surrounding that information.

I don't think IRM are assisting MM with their planned releases as MM has always been independent in this regard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, mmie353 said:

- shortly before the 121 was released, IRM announced they would be stocking them. They also had some 201s for sale about the same time. If you check stockists for Murphy Models products, IRM are listed. 

Exactly that, we listed the available 201s, Cravens, Mark 2's and then the 121's when they landed (selling a very large % of the run) on the Irish railway models website. It made a lot of sense with our simple logistics and website, to offer a 'one stop shop' for those looking for Irish models, which is why we also stock Oxford die cast models suitable for Irish layouts, and have commissioned a number of buses in bespoke liveries from Britbus. 

In this regard, Murphy Models were supplier, and IRM retailer.

IRM and Accurascale are essentially the same, with a shared pool of manpower, resources, and factories. 

• 1 year later...

Any updates on the other Murphy Models projects from the Blackrock show today?

Not the 141 / 181's nor the Mk2D's, as they have their own threads, but the likes of the 201's, the Mk3's, and the grey 071's mentioned by @DonderBlitzen?

3 hours ago, DonderBlitzen said:

I did, 141s end of January. Re run of 071s and 201s with some new paint schemes. Can't remember when the coaches are but further on in the year. He mentioned something else in the works but couldn't remember what it was at the time.

23 minutes ago, DonderBlitzen said:

He specifically mentioned the grey 071 as well.