Ken McElhinney RIP

Rate this topic

ttmac

Truly awful news. I met Ken a couple of times in Bray and at the Dublin shows. Always a lovely man to chat to and his modelling was second to none. Unbelievable stuff. His contributions on here will be sorely missed, but that's nothing compared to what his family must be going through right now. RIP Ken.  

• Like 3

So very sorry to hear this. I never had an opportunity to meet Ken and knew him only through this forum but I always looked forward to reading his contributions and never failed to be inspired by his skill and the quality of his work. I will miss that. My sincere condolences to Ken's family.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Very sorry to read this, I only met Ken at Bray last year, very nice guy and an extremely talented modeller, it was my first time meeting him but he came up to say hi again at another show. :(  My condolences to his family and friends.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Ken's modelling work was very impressive, and second to none. Like many on here, I really enjoyed following his projects. He was a great proponent of modern techniques as well as the traditional and combined them to great effect.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Sorry for your trouble. To most of us who never met him, news like this is always a shock.

Ken provided a number of very helpful drawings and measurements to help the construction of my SSM kit for the 800 Class 4-6-0, making the engineering puzzle that bit easier to understand. I'll always be grateful for his knowledge.

• Like 3

Very sad news. Ken was a very knowledgeable, talented modeller of the highest standard, very kind and helpful. He will be greatly missed.

My condolences to his family and friends.

May he rest in peace.

Very sad to see. Condolences to his family and those who knew him best. A wealth of skill and knowledge lost. I met him at the Bray show a few times, very kind man with plenty of time (and patience) 

RIP

• Like 2

I've been mulling this sad news over all day.

Ken's workshop thread was, in equal measures, both inspirational and intimidating. 

It showed the quality that could be achieved, if you had the skill and put in the effort.

A sad day.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Broithe said:

I've been mulling this sad news over all day.

Ken's workshop thread was, in equal measures, both inspirational and intimidating. 

It showed the quality that could be achieved, if you had the skill and put in the effort.

A sad day.

just was looking over it and yes it was perfection. Damn life is way to short..

• Like 1

This is very sad news, I met Ken briefly in Bray a few years ago, without realising I was in the presence of greatness. He was a master craftsman and his passing is an enormous loss to all of us.

• Like 3

Sad news indeed.

I never met Ken but followed his inspirational work through this forum and had exchanged messages with him.

I have half a dozen of his wagons that he kindly scaled down to 2mm scale for me, these will be a nice memento of his craftsmanship.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

• Like 2

I only joined the forum a few months ago, and there were some mammoth threads that have been going for years, but I was still intimidated by anything over about 3 pages. As a result I never got around to going through KMCE's workbench and I sorely regret it. My most heartfelt condolences go to all who knew him. I only wish I could count myself among them.

• Like 4

I was very sorry to have had an e-mail to inform me of Ken's passing. I only had one opportunity to meet Ken when he picked up one of Bob Sankey's trains - see

As others have related, his skill as an innovative modeller was impressive and we are lucky to have his thread to remind us of his Works.

A privilege to have met him.

Rest in Peace, Ken, you'll be missed.

• Like 7