IRM A Class Now In Production! Here's why you should get your pre-orders in sooner than later...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

26 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

I have ordered 2.

I must not get any more…..I must not get any more…..I must not get any more…..I must not get any more…..
I must not get any more…..I must not get any more…..I must not get any more…..I must not get any more…..
I must not get any more…..I must not get any more…..

I'm with ya. I ended up ordering four!

We need therapy.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Roof held on by magnets, body held on by screws instead of dodgy clips that break after one removal... bliss! 

Body removal/servicing is one of the biggest reasons I hate diesel models because I always end up breaking them haha. This on the other hand, looks totally eejit proof! Thank you! :P 

Related to that, do the bogies come out for easy maintenance too? :) 

Also to echo the comments above, my mouse cursor has been hovering above the 'pre-order' button on a few more of these over the last few days but I'm staying strong! 

Can't remember what number I ordered already but it was one of the late day-glo versions. I am sorely tempted to get one of the early liveries too, either that gorgeous silver or the green... having two similar but not identical locos running on my heritage layout would be pretty cool...

..no..NO! I'm away to have a cold shower! :P 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I'm with ya. I ended up ordering four!

We need therapy.

35 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I took a very different stand on that...

Ordering them WAS my therapy.

Never fight your therapy.

Aye retail therapy...

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Bumble_Bee said:

Roof held on by magnets, body held on by screws instead of dodgy clips that break after one removal... bliss! 

Body removal/servicing is one of the biggest reasons I hate diesel models because I always end up breaking them haha. This on the other hand, looks totally eejit proof! Thank you! :P 

Related to that, do the bogies come out for easy maintenance too? :) 

Also to echo the comments above, my mouse cursor has been hovering above the 'pre-order' button on a few more of these over the last few days but I'm staying strong! 

Can't remember what number I ordered already but it was one of the late day-glo versions. I am sorely tempted to get one of the early liveries too, either that gorgeous silver or the green... having two similar but not identical locos running on my heritage layout would be pretty cool...

..no..NO! I'm away to have a cold shower! :P 

I'll be taking my one in black and tan and throw my wallet as far away as possible where its safer..

Good to hear easy roof removal and no fear of breaking clips or the likes, even many steamers are such an arse to get the body off, setting a precedent for high quality in every aspect means rest assured even if the wallets are empty its money well spent.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2021 at 11:39 PM, Georgeconna said:

See on RMWEB the A's are coming by Rail! Great Choice!

Normally, George, I would agree - but have you seen the track on the Trans-Sib?

On the other hand, especially for you 21mm Men, they will already have endured a gauge change from Broad Gauge to Narrow Gauge - I'm told it's not painful!

The only time i did it personally (going TOWARDS China), I cheated and changed from Narrow Gauge to Broad Gauge by changing trains completely at Brest Litovsk.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:22 AM, BosKonay said:

12.jpg

Looks the business, very tidy interior. How things have changed over the years. Not taking anything away from the 141/181, still love them to bits, but christ were they hard to get into. Made getting a bra off with one hand seem like a doddle.  

• Funny 7

On 3/7/2021 at 7:29 PM, leslie10646 said:

Normally, George, I would agree - but have you seen the track on the Trans-Sib?

On the other hand, especially for you 21mm Men, they will already have endured a gauge change from Broad Gauge to Narrow Gauge - I'm told it's not painful!

The only time i did it personally (going TOWARDS China), I cheated and changed from Narrow Gauge to Broad Gauge by changing trains completely at Brest Litovsk.

We use rail here for some customers, Works Really well TBH. Some adventure there Leslie!

Morning everyone,

One A Class variant we never showed at decoration stage was A42 in green. The decorated shell we got was a bit wrong to say the least, but after sorting out the decoration with China we got it looking ship-shape as it should be. Check it out!

865930217_1(7).thumb.jpg.6cec41ad127f6c3acf5e8036467c5f5d.jpg

994466496_2(7).thumb.jpg.9ab3fb0457f24023d35f7f28726ea538.jpg

1193651817_3(15).thumb.jpg.e3a05232fddc4836336e35a2609b1fd5.jpg

400248299_4(8).thumb.jpg.c4220e96a6aef989edcd060df7b77a4c.jpg

705694914_5(9).thumb.jpg.b20518c6f66fb6c5b2903197a48ee93b.jpg

1651488163_6(4).thumb.jpg.71f419cc82eb567c3717bc77e91a3a66.jpg

863450975_9(5).thumb.jpg.baeb2448b4e2f86eeddbfecdcd45ee09.jpg

Pre order yours right here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/a42-a-class-locomotive

• Like 9
  • WOW! 3

2 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Morning everyone,

One A Class variant we never showed at decoration stage was A42 in green. The decorated shell we got was a bit wrong to say the least, but after sorting out the decoration with China we got it looking ship-shape as it should be. Check it out!

865930217_1(7).thumb.jpg.6cec41ad127f6c3acf5e8036467c5f5d.jpg

994466496_2(7).thumb.jpg.9ab3fb0457f24023d35f7f28726ea538.jpg

1193651817_3(15).thumb.jpg.e3a05232fddc4836336e35a2609b1fd5.jpg

400248299_4(8).thumb.jpg.c4220e96a6aef989edcd060df7b77a4c.jpg

705694914_5(9).thumb.jpg.b20518c6f66fb6c5b2903197a48ee93b.jpg

1651488163_6(4).thumb.jpg.71f419cc82eb567c3717bc77e91a3a66.jpg

863450975_9(5).thumb.jpg.baeb2448b4e2f86eeddbfecdcd45ee09.jpg

Pre order yours right here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/a42-a-class-locomotive

Quite hard to make out the A42. But the green is certainly different.....all the quirks you have to overcome when developing a locomotive from across the globe!

• WOW! 1

2 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

As per the prototypes! 🙂

Reminds me of southern green!

To be honest, id take an A class in olive green if it meant getting a green A class. Such a colourful class of diesel (albeit in the early days, it may As well have been black until 1963!)

Any hints on what A42 looks like now?

Edited by Westcorkrailway

Guy's the model looks great but the colour looks like the wrong shade of green to me. I remember seeing a preproduction version of this at one of the shows and thinking that looked spot on. ( More of an apple green tone and less minty)

I know there was probably many slight variations of the  green it ran in with added rail dust and grime etc... but somehow this tone looks a little cool instead of the warmer tone I feel it should be.

8 minutes ago, scahalane said:

Guy's the model looks great but the colour looks like the wrong shade of green to me. I remember seeing a preproduction version of this at one of the shows and thinking that looked spot on. ( More of an apple green tone and less minty)

I know there was probably many slight variations of the  green it ran in with added rail dust and grime etc... but somehow this tone looks a little cool instead of the warmer tone I feel it should be.

Oh No ! Dont say the wrong shade of green , take cover incoming!!!

22 minutes ago, scahalane said:

Hi Sean,

We never showed a pre-production version of this loco? We did show A46, which is in the darker lined green livery? https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/a46-a-class-locomotive

The A's wore two shades of green. This was matched to a genuine paint sample. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

As mentioned there were two shades, though the vast majority only had the lighter shade. 

It wouldn’t have been quite “appley”, nor, of course mint; the samples seen here look ok to me, I have to say…

As for the black……. 😉😄

The green one will need a rolled up Independent in the cab with a headline about President Kennedy being shot! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi Sean,

We never showed a pre-production version of this loco? We did show A46, which is in the darker lined green livery? https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive/products/a46-a-class-locomotive

The A's wore two shades of green. This was matched to a genuine paint sample. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran for the clarification. I managed to chase down my photo's from the show I first saw it and indead it was A46 that I saw. I might just have to order an extra A now...😜

46 preproduction.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well if he’s happy….

32 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

As mentioned there were two shades, though the vast majority only had the lighter shade. 

It wouldn’t have been quite “appley”, nor, of course mint; the samples seen here look ok to me, I have to say…

As for the black……. 😉😄

The green one will need a rolled up Independent in the cab with a headline about President Kennedy being shot! 

Well, if he’s happy….

• Funny 2

4 minutes ago, scahalane said:

Thanks Fran for the clarification. I managed to chase down my photo's from the show I first saw it and indead it was A46 that I saw. I might just have to order an extra A now...😜

46 preproduction.jpg

We'll give a glimpse of this beauty in all its production goodness tomorrow... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Regarding the early liveries of the Crossley As, how many variants would have operated at the same time considering that the application of the new colour schemes would have been applied over a protracted period?

Around 1964/5, you could have had SIX variants together - just about.

The silver livery was first in 1955.

By 1958 they were being repainted green (lighter; the very few dark variants were a little later). However, some remained silver - albeit so utterly filthy you really could barely tell what colour they were - until c.1965; then going directly to black, skipping the green.

So, first of all, you've a few silver alongside mostly green 1958-c.64/5. A couple get the dark green about 1960-ish - I'd have to check.

Black appears in late 1962, with full height tan sides; not wearing well, and all-black variant appears during 1963 - and some with yellow panels c.1963/4.

So, if you stick the timescale of your layout to be preserved in aspic in 1964, let's say; you have:

1. Silver - very badly decomposed and about to be repainted

2. Green - lighter

3. Green - darker (just a couple of them)

4. Black with high tan sides

5. Black

6. Black with yellow end panels.

By the late 1960s, the three black variants are the only show in town. Once re-engined, low tan side bands were the norm but a few had high tan sides, including preserved A39.

"Supertrain" livery in 1972 became standard for all until 1987, when the "tippex" lines were gradually added.

Who said the 1990s were interesting, again?  🙂

• Like 1
  • Informative 2
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Garfield said:

When first repainted, although it soon wore away to reveal the original silver colour as well as receiving the inevitable coating of Crossley grime. :) 

Indeed - and on the silver ones, the light green numerals often wore off entirely, leaving less weathered silver paint underneath, which on a very dirty engine gave the impression of a light-coloured style of numeral. Similarly, the light green paint on the steel "snails" attached to the sides of "A"'s often wore, leaving bare metal - if it didn't do that, it faded.

There's actually a whole topic around what weathering DID to locos and carriages - wagon paint rusting up on the metal bits, and bleaching on the timber bits....GNR loco domes (and Donegal ones) appearing to be black instead of blue or red (same with green CIE locos), carriage roofs painted pale "lead" grey turning black, and so on. 

Often, those who did not witness such things will get the impression that the GNR had fifty shades of blue, CIE had fifty shades of green and the CDR had maybe forty shades of red. Equally, and more recently, that in the 1960s there were fifty shades of CIE loco and coach "tan" / "golden brown" / "orange".

In almost all cases, it is fading and weathering, not different paint - plus differing levels of deterioration on old colour slides and prints. Railway companies were an early example of taking a pride in their uniform corporate image and went to great lengths to match paints accurately. A friend of jhbSenior's, who died about ten years ago, was the "paint chemist" in Dundalk Works, employed for this purpose.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

The problem with the A's is just that they are all lovely and they don't even have Chimneys!

Steady on, George!

They didn't need chimneys in any case to belch out clouds of black smoke (sorry, exhaust).

If the fireman had been doing his job properly, it would have been nice clean white steam ........

• Like 1
  • Funny 1