The passing of Lambeg man

Rate this topic

Class87

Hi my brother Stephen (known to you as Lambeg man) passed away recently. He obviously has a lot of oo stuff

including locos and carriages (many of which he adapted to resemble older stock).

He also has a lot of books magazines and other articles regarding Irish railways.

Would anyone out there be interested in this? He lived in Norwich and collection would seem to be the

easiest option. I will be down in Norwich 29 june to 1 July if any Engished based followers are interested.

Feel free to contact me via this site.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

So, so sorry to hear this sad news. I know Stephen was a devoted carer to his wife and he shared my approach to modelling, where caring came first and modelling second. I looked forward to seeing his Scarva Station and then Queen's Bridge develop, but sadly he left the forum and now we will miss him forever! Rest in Peace Stephen.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thank you for your very kind comments and condolences.

My name is Colin by the way and I'd be delighted if any of you wanted to buy any of his stuff

for a nominmal fee to cover postage and a donation to Stephen's chosen charity, the Stroke association.

Maybe the best thing is to bring his stuff home, photograph it and then put it on this forum for you to see.

I'm not really a railway man though my user name relates to the BR electric locos. I liked them!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Up until a few weeks ago, Steve and l had been in steady contact as he 'fact-checked' many of my captions for my book on Omagh Station. He gave me much detail on carriages in the Derry Road. I was aware that he was caring for his wife but l was shocked to hear the news as his email replies just ended abruptly- sad news.

• Like 2

Folks, I was speaking to Colin, Steve's brother earlier today.

He has been deafened by the silence of statements of interest in Steve's models. Steve had several NIR-liveried early DMUs, built, if I am not mistaken by Ivor Hughes of Belfast about a quarter of a century ago. They are kit bashes, built on the proprietary coach chassis of the time. I have two sets myself (Steve having provided the intro) mine in GN blue and cream, of course. I thought them very good.

I am going up to Norwich on Friday to pick up some other items, but if anyone is interested, I'll take photos if I get access to the 4mm stuff. PM me if you have an eye on anything in particular.

Leslie

• Like 2

On 18/6/2023 at 10:21 AM, Class87 said:

Hi my brother Stephen (known to you as Lambeg man) passed away recently. He obviously has a lot of oo stuff

including locos and carriages (many of which he adapted to resemble older stock).

He also has a lot of books magazines and other articles regarding Irish railways.

Would anyone out there be interested in this? He lived in Norwich and collection would seem to be the

easiest option. I will be down in Norwich 29 june to 1 July if any Engished based followers are interested.

Feel free to contact me via this site.

Apologies only saw this today. :( Really sorry to hear about your sad loss @Class87 . Thoughts for your family and your brothers loved ones.

• Like 1

A trip to Norwich yesterday to meet Colin (Class 87), Judi (Steve's widow) and her son Peter. One result is that the trackwork for Queens Bridge is now in beside Rosses Point and hopefully will act as a base for a modest layout using Bob's MGWR stock!

Steve had a large collection of 4mm Irish stuff and one of the family will be listing it either here, or on eBay. Lots for the "modern" modeller including some rare-ish MM and iRM diesels. 4/5 Cravens, sets of Bubbles et. 

I promised Colin that I would post here that I've seen the said items and all look in very good condition, so I commend them to you. More less new, or like new.

We couldn't find one particular  "Jewel" - a 00 Works Class U. It looks as if Steve had already sold it on - so own up - who was the lucky lad?

Time was a bit pressing, so I forgot to photograph Steve's 4mm garage layout which had rows of kit-bash Irish coaches and other rolling stock, which need a good home. I'll arrange a further visit, or get Peter (who is a Norwich resident) to photograph it for me.

A great shame that Steve didn't see this larger layout  come to fruition, as it looked packed with potential.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Hi Leslie, @leslie10646, just wanted to commend you, as a 77 year old youngster, for taking up the baton with Bob's O Gauge MGWR stuff when he wanted to downsize and now advising Colin, @Class87, on Steve's, Lambeg Man's, stuff. As mentioned above, the dreaded EBay is probably the best option for Colin and his family to get a fair and reasonable price for the 4mm Irish. It's just a pity that there were no railway buffs in Steve's family circle and a sad reminder to us all as to what will happen to our prized possessions when we move on to the big terminus! God Bless and Good Health to you sir for many years to come.

• Like 7

To Norwich on Friday by one of these new "Flirt" thingeys. Much more comfortable than our local GWR "IETs". Nougt to a hundred in two minutes!

IMG_5717.thumb.JPG.5e57dd63733ad3ef6acf7d3d09ba7540.JPG

How do you carry yards of 0 Gauge track on a train? Make a Track - Pack!

The leg of an old pair of cords, sewn up, cord attached and you have something which can be carried over a shoulder.

IMG_5732.thumb.JPG.e511489f15d08ccad34419f3257973d5.JPG

That was followed by Saturday, busy clearing up in the "Railway Room" - mainly repositioning boxes and boxes of David Soggee's slides, although I filled the back of the Smart car with items to bring over to Camberley, but it did yiled twelve feet of space as you will see in the next post.

• Like 5

Bob will be after me for cruelty to his locos! PoorSylph didn't think much of getting the Limited Mail over the hump at Rosses Point Lower! Four yards of track formerly in use at Queens Bridge! When my summer travels are over, we plan to clear a lot more space and see if we can find a clever way to integrate the lines. The hump is caused by two not quite identical tables. A lump of hardboard strip would ease things, but we couldn't find one on Sunday night. Apologies, Bob, for the slips (Lady driver - I'm the shaky hand holding the camera!).

• Like 8
  • WOW! 1