IRM A Class Now In Production! Here's why you should get your pre-orders in sooner than later...

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

4 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi Gareth,

The cutout should handle radius two curves as it's a kinematic coupling. 

Hi Patrick,

They will be shipped with one coupling fitted as per photos with the second in the accessory pack for you to install if desired. They just clip into the NEM pocket.

Cheers!

Fran 

I'll  do up a short 50 Minute you tube video on fitting this if it suits folks.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that the black/tan/white early CIE livery were the first locos to sell out for both the A Class and the 121 Class.

Seems to be a bit of a shift here, as IR always seemed to be the most popular modelling period up to recently, based on sales of previously released items from both IRM and MM.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

James bond isint raking in the numbers its expected 😅

Fingers crossed it will arrive before september first 

We're looking at delivery around the end of the first week of September, with shipments to customers commencing the following week. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

Hi all,  having ordered one of these beauties in Supertrain, I will eventually fit it with sound.  In the meantime, does anybody know if a basic 21 pin decoder will get it working and if so, will six full functions be needed for lighting or four functions with two logic outputs?

Thanks

John

1 hour ago, johnfromoz said:

Hi all,  having ordered one of these beauties in Supertrain, I will eventually fit it with sound.  In the meantime, does anybody know if a basic 21 pin decoder will get it working and if so, will six full functions be needed for lighting or four functions with two logic outputs?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

We also sell a standard ESU LokPilot decoder, which is optimised for the A Class, if you don't want sound straight away: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/dcc-decoders/products/a-class-dcc-standard-chip

• Informative 2

On 13/8/2021 at 1:51 AM, iarnrod said:

Interesting that the black/tan/white early CIE livery were the first locos to sell out for both the A Class and the 121 Class.

Seems to be a bit of a shift here, as IR always seemed to be the most popular modelling period up to recently, based on sales of previously released items from both IRM and MM.

That era has repeatedly been underestimated, in the sense that they would not have sold out that quickly if more had been produced. The As have not been produced in equal numbers as I understand it like say there were 504 MM 141 class etc. 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

Kevin makes a very good point above. the Black 'n Tan era is of greater interest for the reason that the locos ran on a railway little changed from steam days - semaphore signals, freight trains with brake vans, , seldom two wagons on a train the same; still lots of sundries and mail traffic, which meant that passenger trains did not just cart people .........

Talks on the era always attract a good audience for that reason and thank heavens quite a few guys took great pictures which have recorded the scene - JB's books (with Barry Carse) are a case in point.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, DiveController said:

That era has repeated been underestimated, in the sense that they would not have sold out that quickly if more had been produced. The As have not been produced in equal numbers as I understand it like say the were 504 MM 141 class etc. 

Guess that might be because of nostalgia memory reflecting the age demographics of customers. When I say train to my Uncle he immediately thinks of a steam loco, and all the noise that entails, whereas I immediately think of Green and B&T A classes or Black'n'Tan 141/181s from my childhood traveling on the railways, and B&T AEC sets. I vividly remember travelling to Galway behind grey 121 on more than a few occasions. Its grey livery under the dark station roof looked more like a military shade of grey when appealed to me at the time as a child they grew up on ww2 war movies. Remember W J Owens in Bray selling ww2 transets, with war wells and tanks. Todays kids may think of Green intercity stock behind 201s and 2600 DMUs when they are our age.

Another advantage of the B&T era is it facilitates short wheel base rolling stock which tends to look better of typical layout size curves whereas modern mk3, mk4 coaching stock can look unrealistic overhanging track bends, also limits the length of trains whereas behind a B&T A class or MM 141 20 two axle goods wagons looks seriously long and full of interest due to the variety. Also easy to convert readily available BR (40s-60s) RTR 2-axle wagons to CIE era to make up pick up goods trains formations that once dominated Kingsbridge/Heuston yards as well as Cork.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DiveController said:

That era has repeated been underestimated, in the sense that they would not have sold out that quickly if more had been produced. The As have not been produced in equal numbers as I understand it like say the were 504 MM 141 class etc. 

Or has it? 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

What's the difference between CAWS with protective guards and CAWS without protective guards, a la 017 vs. 048?

Did one come before the other, as in 017 represents the class from X date until X date and 048 for a different date range?

Or was it random for each loco?

From what I recall the guards were a later introduction to protect the CAWS system from damage but as to timing I have no idea

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 2

On 13/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, Garfield said:

We're looking at delivery around the end of the first week of September, with shipments to customers commencing the following week. 🙂

Will there be an option to collect our orders when they are in stock? Or will Covid restrictions still prevent this?

15 hours ago, DiveController said:

From what I recall the guards were a later introduction to protect the CAWS system from damage but as to timing I have no idea

Thanks, DC.

I was a little confused but what you say makes perfect sense, as both of the ST / IR hybrid liveries are without, then one of the IR's is with and one without, and both of the IR Day-Glows have them.

15 hours ago, irishthump said:

Will there be an option to collect our orders when they are in stock? Or will Covid restrictions still prevent this?

We are offering colllection as an option from our Click & Collect point at the warehouse which is just off the m50 in the robinhood estate. 

if anyone would like to collect please let us know via email to support@irishrailwaymodels.com and we will pack for collection and email you a pickup barcode once ready. 

48 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Thanks, DC.

I was a little confused but what you say makes perfect sense, as both of the ST / IR hybrid liveries are without, then one of the IR's is with and one without, and both of the IR Day-Glows have them.

The protective guards were fitted to 001 Class locos which received overhauls (which included a repaint) at Inchacore in the early 1990s, CAWS equipment was fitted to all main line locos by 1984 in order to run over the electrified lines in the Dublin area.

• Informative 1

13 minutes ago, Mayner said:

The protective guards were fitted to 001 Class locos which received overhauls (which included a repaint) at Inchacore in the early 1990s, CAWS equipment was fitted to all main line locos by 1984 in order to run over the electrified lines in the Dublin area.

Thanks for the answers, @Mayner and @DiveController.

For anybody with short-term memory problems like me, here is a list of eleven A / 001 Class withdrawal / withdrawl dates from posts in another thread by @spudfan and @Garfield:

IR Livery

017 - stopped 29.09.93

023 - stopped 30-10-91

027 - stopped 09.06.92

030 - stopped 09.02.93

036 - stopped 19.12.94

042 - stopped 09.10.92

048 - stopped 24.05.94

054 - stopped 28.07.93

Supertrain / IR hybrid Livery:

007 - stopped 14.10.90

056 - stopped 29.10.92

Supertrain Livery:

046 - stopped 21.04.79

If anybody wishes to add more dates, that'd be great!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

Please explain this question. It would be interesting to know if the sales chart for sales of the A class is a comparison of "apples to apples"

All of the models in this run of the A are in relatively limited numbers, of between 250 and 300 units. Interestingly the sold out models are all 300 unit runs.