New 141/181's

Rate this question

WRENNEIRE

Question

I was shooting the breeze with some lads at the Bray gig yesterday

Would there be any interest in a new run of 141/181's?

New running numbers and the 4 liveries

How many would need to be made and how many would sell

Also bearing in mind the forthcoming 121's and A Class's

Answers on a postcard......

• Like 6
  • WOW! 2

Can't have enough BGMs. I'd love another half dozen across ST,IR and IE liveries. I have plenty in B&T for my use.

Maybe even a one or two with the small logo IE, and the IR logo with no tipex livery variations?

Edited by Railer

19 minutes ago, StevieB said:

There is nothing stopping you renumbering existing models to provide extra versions.

Stephen

Yes there is, it's called technical ability 😂

Plus I don't have enough to renumber and I'd love a few in the IR logo no strip livery as they ran in during the early '90s while the tippex took time to roll out.

• Funny 1

20 minutes ago, StevieB said:

There is nothing stopping you renumbering existing models to provide extra versions.

Stephen

Thats not what we were talking about Steve, most of the sad bastards I spoke with are into collecting and would probably not be capable of renumbering etc

Just testing to see if there would be a market for them

And I reckon the price would be near the €180 - €200 mark for a small run

• Like 1

Absolutely interested- wasnt on the scene when they first came out and now they are rare..

Would be interested in black and tan and cie supertrain livery - probably a couple of both......

However....late 2020 would be good for the finances with the A's and 121's arriving this year!

• Like 2

Yes I would take a few more, especially if they were a re-run of MM/Bachmann, especially B&T & ST liveries. You can haul any type of train light or heavy with baby GMs, just pair them up in consist for heavy trains. Almost the only locos needed for an Irish layout spanning the 60s to the 90s. Pairs can even be used to legitimately haul rakes of Mk2 and Mk3 coaches. IMHO the 141/181 MM/Bachmann baby GMs were the finest model diesel locos ever produced in these islands, their scale looks were matched by their incredibly precise and smooth running characteristics. Best diesel chassis I've come across so far. A cost €180/ea probably closer to the mark considering the pricing of IRMs A class which is likely to break multiple glass ceilings for detail, chassis and gadgets. Hopefully the 121 will also have a few new innovations up its own sleeve and be the best diesel yet from MM.

PS: If they were not a direct re-run of the Bachmann tooled loco it might be nice to have a few tweaks such as bass reflex speakers pre-fitted, separate head lamp control, and easier access to fit a decoder instead of the current watch maker procedure.

Edited by Noel

Would be in the market for a few new ones if they appeared alright. Most likely be interested in CIE Supertrain and IR liveries. Maybe produce a batch of Supertrain with IR logo that were never released in first batch. Also, IE logo with the small older type marker lights also never released in the first batch.

While they were and still are an excellent model, they were not without their faults such as the gap between the cabs and chassis that most examples display at this point and cabs sticking out over the chassis at the sides near the cab doors on some models. I presume that you are talking about using the existing tooling without any alterations?

Having said that, I could see myself in the market for around 12 models from CIE Supertrain to IR liveries (1986-1994 era) if there was to be a new run of them released.

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 1

I would be up for just one or two more, if different numbers and somewhat under prices recent,y seen on fleabay.

One or two for me, and maybe half a dozen others, wouldn't even come near to being remotely commercially viable, but if collectors and perhaps a good few large layout operators and general model world all weighed in too, who knows?

My sole point being that while for me 1 or 2 more is enough, if I'm not the only one thinking this way, maybe.....  anyone know what the minimum commercially viable "print run" is?

5 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

anyone know what the minimum commercially viable "print run" is?

I'd say around the 250 mark. The grey 071s and NIR 111s were limited runs of about that number, I think the same with Enterprise and NIR 201s.

32 minutes ago, Railer said:

I'd say around the 250 mark. The grey 071s and NIR 111s were limited runs of about that number, I think the same with Enterprise and NIR 201s.

The Factory would have a minimum run of at least 1000 units, more if it's Bachmann.

I might buy maybe 1 or 2, as I pretty much have as many I need or am likely to run. To be honest once my current order from IRM/Accurscale arrives (A classes and a Deltic) and MM's 121's have been purchased I'll be pretty much done as far as new locos is concerned. Barring the odd impulse/bargain buy. I need to concentrate on getting a layout up and running rather than stockpiling locos!

• Like 1

I would be interested in getting a few myself as I would like to add to my stock but with the 121 coming this year and I still wanna order more A class locos, it's a rough year for the credit cards but for the models coming out, for sure is exciting.

• Like 1

Personally I've probably got more than enough in the 10 that I currently have, which is a split between the IR/IE liveries. Though it never stops me from keeping my eye out for them still. 

Interestingly, I did notice a couple of comments with regards to the livery that wasn't included in the original run. That being the IR logo without the white band. Here's one of my Dad's 141's which I carried out a little work on. The Catchers should have been removed for it to be prototypically correct, but you get the idea. 

IMG_20190623_144824.thumb.jpg.d6aef552a6eab9f85c65d0fc5adce303.jpg

IMG_20190623_144803.thumb.jpg.64fef68cfc451140db4d5912c049aa7e.jpg

Have to admit there's something I quite like about it. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, connollystn said:

Great work JasonB, a nice bit of weathering adds realism to any model.

10 hours ago, Noel said:

Class weathering job. Love it.

Can't take credit for the weathering job gents, that was done by Anthony Smyth. I just removed the CIE logo and added the IR ones.  

Edited by JasonB

20 hours ago, JasonB said:

Personally I've probably got more than enough in the 10 that I currently have, which is a split between the IR/IE liveries. Though it never stops me from keeping my eye out for them still. 

Interestingly, I did notice a couple of comments with regards to the livery that wasn't included in the original run. That being the IR logo without the white band. Here's one of my Dad's 141's which I carried out a little work on. The Catchers should have been removed for it to be prototypically correct, but you get the idea. 

IMG_20190623_144824.thumb.jpg.d6aef552a6eab9f85c65d0fc5adce303.jpg

IMG_20190623_144803.thumb.jpg.64fef68cfc451140db4d5912c049aa7e.jpg

Have to admit there's something I quite like about it. 

Did you mucky that young JasonB, well that's one serious piece of skill, very well done sir, she's looking just mega,

BTB

2 hours ago, Railer said:

That's my favourite livery variation, IR sans tippex. Delighted IRM are doing a few like that in the A class range.

Unfortunately you're in the minority so far Graham, not many going for them, but hopefully they pick up in time. Always liked it myself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Where did you get the wallpaper man?

Couldn't tell you Dave. It's not my house. Are you doing a bit of decorating at the moment? You were asking George last week where he had got his curtains from.  

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 7:23 AM, WRENNEIRE said:

I was shooting the breeze with some lads at the Bray gig yesterday

Would there be any interest in a new run of 141/181's?

New running numbers and the 4 liveries

How many would need to be made and how many would sell

Also bearing in mind the forthcoming 121's and A Class's

Answers on a postcard......

I don't 'need' them  (but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be buying one of each especially BnT 😉)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1