IRM At The Dublin Show 2022 - Just What Will We Announce?

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

42 minutes ago, Mayner said:

The AEC railcars were basically the 1950-60 equivalent of the Rotem Intercity sets working both prestigious trains like the "Enterprise" and Cu-na-Mara (Dublin-Galway-Westport) and secondary main line passenger services like Mallow-Tralee or Amiens St-Rosslare.

Indeed. For the benefit of younger readers, there was scarcely a line on the (then much larger) CIE system which did not use them - in many cases virtually all passenger services were worked by them LONG before the end of steam, the latter being confined to shunting and goods on such routes. In the north, the GNR used them on the main line as stated above, but also on Howth and Belfast - Portadown suburban, as well as Belfast - Clones and Enniskillen, and Belfast - Portadown - Derry. After the GNR, the UTA continued their use, and so did NIR until the mid-1970s.

Imagine trying to model ANY line in the west of Ireland today, or the Rosslare or Waterford lines - without an ICR. If anything remotely approaching accuracy was desired, and ICR is an absolute MUST.

SAME with AEC railcars on all of the above-mentioned lines. Even the Waterford & Tramore and Cork (Albert Quay) - Bantry ended up with these things on all passenger services. They worked Waterford - Limerick, Limerick - Tralee, and Limerick - Claremorris - Sligo, as well as the main lines from Dublin to Waterford, Rosslare, Cork, Sligo, Galway, Westport, Tralee.....

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Indeed. For the benefit of younger readers, there was scarcely a line on the (then much larger) CIE system which did not use them - in many cases virtually all passenger services were worked by them LONG before the end of steam, the latter being confined to shunting and goods on such routes. In the north, the GNR used them on the main line as stated above, but also on Howth and Belfast - Portadown suburban, as well as Belfast - Clones and Enniskillen, and Belfast - Portadown - Derry. After the GNR, the UTA continued their use, and so did NIR until the mid-1970s.

Slightly off topic, but if railcars were the staple long before the end of steam, why do forum members bitch about the railcars of today, while calling them trams, yo-yo's etc?

Yes, @Noel, I'm looking at you, but not only you, there are several others. I just didn't want this to appear as a passive-aggressive dig at you, that was not my intent.

• Like 1

Just now, DJ Dangerous said:

Slightly off topic, but if railcars were the staple long before the end of steam, why do forum members bitch about the railcars of today, while calling them trams, yo-yo's etc?

Yes, @Noel, I'm looking at you, but not only you, there are several others. I just didn't want this to appear as a passive-aggressive dig at you, that was not my intent.

I think it’s a generational thing - jhbSenior would have dismissed them outright, albeit not actually bitching as such; having been brought up when even all commuter services were steam (except the Drumm trains!), diesels in any shape or form were ignored. I think he gave a special dispensation to Donegal ones, though!

Personally, I have little interest in any of them, per se; but recognise the immense value they have been to the railways here for nigh on seventy years now, this alone propelling them into the world of technical and historical interest. 

A few memories too, of commuting in them when I had less grey hair.

Might add, while my layout is firmly rooted in the grey’n’green and black’n’tan eras, AEC railcars are absolutely crucial for that time, so if a RTR one appears, I’ll want several. And while an 80 class or ICR is technically far too modern for that era, and too modern for my own area of interest, I would still buy one of each for historical interest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Indeed, and the yo-yo thing doesn't even make sense. They go up and down? Like, every train?  🤷‍♂️

I'll admit ICRs don't do much for me as an enthusiast but can't fault them on performance and comfort. As much as I prefer locos, generally anytime I've got them on the morning Belfast lately we've got into Belfast ahead of time. 

Edited by Niles
grammar
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, dave182 said:

Hmmm. Nobody guessed 20' or 22.5' skeletal 2 axle wagons. That would be my preference.

Good guess I'd say.

Some sort of railcar would make sense, either modern or back to the AEC's etc. I wouldn't rule out some PW equipment though...

I'm doubtful about seeing the footbridge yet but we can hope! 

• Like 3

Fingers crossed its a 22000 as that is well outside my sphere of interest and will save me a few bob!

Old Gen Railcars had some sort of Nicety's and comfort about them but still don't feature too heavy in my rolling Stock list!

A Breakthrough release into TT Scale with 141 and Cravens Train set with correct track would be ace though.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

28 minutes ago, patrick said:

Regarding the AEC railcars, Were they ever used on the Mallow Waterford line?

I think I have seen a photo of a green AEC railcar at mallow with the caption “heading for Fermoy” however absolutely don’t quote me on that 

Cork_201___552_ca_1960

speaking of AEC railcars look at this one…spotless condition next to 201 and 552! (Although if I’m right there I’d a bit of that GSR grey coming through at the end of the water tank on 201) 201 was later on repainted into CIE black for the IRRS courtmacsherry tour 

I wish Silver-fox painted my one in that post 55 green, I might have even held on to it longer! 

• Like 2

I never thought anyone would produce the mags so anything is possible. Something based on a 20 foot flat could open the door to all sorts of wagons Including oil tanks, container flats, bagged cement and ore wagons in the future.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, K801 said:

will the models that are going to be announced be available for Christmas?

Nope, one out of the three will be, the other two will arrive next year.

11 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

@Warbonnet can we expect to see samples of the new products at Raheny?  Maybe undecorated ones?

And.... when will the pre-Raheny announcement be made?

There will be one in production form, one in handpainted decorated form and the third will be CAD renders but in tooling as we speak.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/10/2022 at 12:17 PM, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

The Dublin show is back! After a period away due to COVID, the biggest show on the Irish calendar is back this October Bank Holiday Weekend at St. Paul's Raheny. We're delighted to be main show sponsor once again.

1431602316_Dublinshow23poster.thumb.jpg.3f7786b47048468cb56da687eefd3af9.jpg

Lot's of layouts to see and of course we will be on hand with lots of shiny models for sale including A Class locos, wagons, buses and who knows what else. We will even have a show special bargain (serious bargain that will blow your minds!) on sale.

And of course, there will be excitement too, with THREE new models being announced between now and the show (two at the show itself, one beforehand) including our next powered model!

So make sure you get yourself to Raheny and find out the latest news, pick up a bargain and some lovely IRM models. See you there!

Cheers!

Fran 

Best bet would be a Hunslet and a set of maroon/blue Mk 2b coaches. I can't guess the third but am waiting with much anticipation!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Noel said:

IRM C class? 😜

348586995_CClass.jpeg.4b7495340a94d0690effe8bfd3b46bb2.jpeg

Where did that come from?

4 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

If you thaught the number was odd just look at the wheel arrangement 🤪

I must admit it looks really nice…I don’t know if the C class ever ran in Tippex though 

Hmmmmm... an 0.7.0..........

Correct, no "C" ever ran in "tippex" livery, nor carried that logo; the last of them was withdrawn over a year before the "set-of-points" logo was devised. I agree, though, it looks well. What is this model - who madse it, what scale, where did it come from? And why 448?

• Like 1