IRM At The Dublin Show 2022 - Just What Will We Announce?

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

3 hours ago, Horsetan said:

Nobody seems to have offered those beet wagons as a guess.

As to the next powered model, who knows? Would be grand to see something steam outline, though. Something along the lines of a J15, mqybe.

Wot's wrong with mine?

200 in service to date .......

Just ask young Robert Roche who sings tunefully in the choir of this parish - he's built a load of them!

Buy 'em at Raheny!

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Just a thought, (Hallowe'en coming up) - having "Lit the Blue Touch Paper" the Management have indeed "withdrawn immediately" and let us speculate.

From the deafening silence from them, one of us has hit the nail on the head!

I'm pretty sure it's JB with his Fintona suggestion - a fully working horse could be used on British layouts, so could cross fertilise with the Accurascale brand. After all with their forthcoming GWR Manor Class, there is the obvious connection with the fact that the GWR used hundreds of horses.

AND, the same horse, reliveried could be used to pull Guinness drays.

And,

And,

What DID I put in this bedtime drink?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leslie10646 said:

Just a thought, (Hallowe'en coming up) - having "Lit the Blue Touch Paper" the Management have indeed "withdrawn immediately" and let us speculate.

From the deafening silence from them, one of us has hit the nail on the head!

I'm pretty sure it's JB with his Fintona suggestion - a fully working horse could be used on British layouts, so could cross fertilise with the Accurascale brand. After all with their forthcoming GWR Manor Class, there is the obvious connection with the fact that the GWR used hundreds of horses.

AND, the same horse, reliveried could be used to pull Guinness drays.

And,

And,

What DID I put in this bedtime drink?

I think there was a horse at the mill siding at Upperlands in Co. Derry so an NCC-liveried horse would sell millions.  And it could go for a run up the MANE line.....

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Wot's wrong with mine?

200 in service to date .......

Just ask young Robert Roche who sings tunefully in the choir of this parish - he's built a load of them!

Buy 'em at Raheny!

I can happily attest to the fact that far from anything being wrong with them, they're excellent! A few of them hard at work on Dugort Harbour, with a few more awaiting construction.

46 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

........................ having "Lit the Blue Touch Paper" ....................

B L U E touch paper?

Now that IS food for thought........ I'm thinking a GNR 4.4.0!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MOGUL said:

🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

Watching this one closely, so far, not even close but people are in for a real treat this year! 

This did happen with the mark 2 announcement, litterally no one put in a good guess. that footbridge project from a while back is the only other thing that springs to mind 

not that I can afford to talk, my Silver fox AEC railcars are being sold tommorow because I can’t afford to keep them!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Horsetan said:

As to the next powered model, who knows? Would be grand to see something steam outline, though. Something along the lines of a J15, mqybe.

Would love to see a rtr beet wagon 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

If none of them are B&I ferries, I'll be disappointed.

Probably two tone green Dublin buses, Roadliner trucks, 071 Class locos, 800 Class locos, 47' Flats, Mk4 coaches, Mk2A/B/C range expansion, loose coupled wagon three packs, 2600's, or who knows?

Maybe one of the lads has a baby on the way and that's one of the announcements.

Or maybe they're pre-empting sanctions on China and opening a plant in a low wage area much closer to home, one with a young, skilled, multi-lingual workforce, one that's less than four hours away, one that has blue skies most of the time, and one where palletwide containers are the norm, and that's one of the announcements.

• Funny 2

6 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

...maybe they're pre-empting sanctions on China and opening a plant in a low wage area much closer to home, one with a young, skilled, multi-lingual workforce, one that's less than four hours away, one that has blue skies most of the time, and one where palletwide containers are the norm, and that's one of the announcements.

India. Good luck with that.

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

If none of them are B&I ferries, I'll be disappointed.

Probably two tone green Dublin buses, Roadliner trucks, 071 Class locos, 800 Class locos, 47' Flats, Mk4 coaches, Mk2A/B/C range expansion, loose coupled wagon three packs, 2600's, or who knows?

Maybe one of the lads has a baby on the way and that's one of the announcements.

Or maybe they're pre-empting sanctions on China and opening a plant in a low wage area much closer to home, one with a young, skilled, multi-lingual workforce, one that's less than four hours away, one that has blue skies most of the time, and one where palletwide containers are the norm, and that's one of the announcements.

Referring to the final paragraph - you mean the UK?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

38 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

Some good guesses so far, but just to clarify; all these announcements are railway related, so no buses or other vehicles.

It's the only clue you are getting though!

Cheers!

Fran 

Oh my goodness, have you had 071 and 072 repainted in IRM and Accurascale liveries at Inchicore?

2 hours ago, Horsetan said:

India. Good luck with that.

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Referring to the final paragraph - you mean the UK?

LOL to both. No, I meant somewhere that you'd actually want to go to, not get away from, probably a few thousand km south.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

Some good guesses so far, but just to clarify; all these announcements are railway related, so no buses or other vehicles.

It's the only clue you are getting though!

Cheers!

Fran 

It IS the Digital Dray horse!!!! Wow.

More seriously, I've never understood why no manufacturer has set up in the Phillipines. Lovely people, hardworking, and English-speaking.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Horsetan said:

Yes beet wagons are by far the most populous item of rolling stock to have ever run on Irelands railways. There were over 4000 of them at one stage, and for 30 years they made up the bulk of goods traffic in Ireland. Modern era folks might prefer ammonia bogie wagons.  Whatever will be will be. :) Still holding out distant hope for IRM quality CIE laminates or park royals one day.

18 minutes ago, connollystn said:

I'd say the guys in IRM towers are having a great laugh at us as it is likely that none of the prototypes mentioned thus far are going to feature as part of the new announcements. My money (what little I have) is on the ICR 22,000 - it's the sensible move.

I'd agree with that analysis. 22k trams could sell both to modellers and the Christmas toy market, especially modellers who don't have any points on their layout. :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Noel said:

I'd agree with that analysis. 22k trams could sell both to modellers and the Christmas toy market, especially modellers who don't have any points on their layout. :) 

That certainly applies to me as I only have a large oval track so railcars or push-pull operations suit my 'layout'

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, connollystn said:

I'd say the guys in IRM towers are having a great laugh at us as it is likely that none of the prototypes mentioned thus far are going to feature as part of the new announcements. My money (what little I have) is on the ICR 22,000 - it's the sensible move.

2600 / 2700 / 22000 / 29000 would be incredible, perfect for end-to-end and loop style layouts!

The IE livery Bachmann 158's are nice and all, but still, IRM grade MU's would be awesome, specially something like a 2600, which ran for so long in so many guises.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

2600 / 2700 / 22000 / 29000 would be incredible, perfect for end-to-end and loop style layouts!

The IE livery Bachmann 158's are nice and all, but still, IRM grade MU's would be awesome, specially something like a 2600, which ran for so long in so many guises.

Of ALL the railcars that have ever run on this island, there are three absolute essentials. The AEC sets, variously in CIE, GNR, UTA & NIR guises; the 80 class, and ICRs.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

I quite agree. A 2600 would be magic and ran ‘for so long in so many guises’……

19BC0D73-1863-4B66-9BC0-3ACA24389005.jpeg

A83D97B2-FE5A-48BB-ACC2-F9B05EA0FBB6.jpeg

Epic - Those massive round buffers on the AEC 2600 were classic. I remember watching them in Bray as a child in green and later B&T livery.  They were even used on secondary passenger main line services 50 years before the Rotem 22k toy trams had ever been conceived of. 

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Anything IRM do will be 'awesome' for detail and accuracy.

• Like 2

I am NOT getting a THIRD AEC set.

I was "outed" to my steam pals by a chap on this forum, with the initials LB.

No excuse that it was in the pub. Just as well I was in Hong Kong at the time.

Mind you, it was a great kit bash model, still running and the builder, Bless him, build me a load of GN Mahogany coaches.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

.... I've never understood why no manufacturer has set up in the Phillipines. Lovely people, hardworking, and English-speaking.

Might not be a good idea now that there's a Marcos back running the show. He'll be every bit his father's son. And his mother's still pulling the strings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Noel said:

Epic - Those massive round buffers on the AEC 2600 were classic. I remember watching them in Bray as a child in green and later B&T livery.  They were even used on secondary passenger main line services 50 years before the Rotem 22k toy trams had ever been conceived of. 

Anything IRM do will be 'awesome' for detail and accuracy.

The AEC railcars were basically the 1950-60 equivalent of the Rotem Intercity sets working both prestigious trains like the "Enterprise" and Cu-na-Mara (Dublin-Galway-Westport) and secondary main line passenger services like Mallow-Tralee or Amiens St-Rosslare. The GNR replaced the 600 Class Cars on the Enterprise with the more powerful BUT railcar sets until replaced by 70 Class sets in the late 60s, CIE continued to work the Cu-na-Mara and Dublin-Sligo trains with AEC railcars until the late 60/early 70s.

Like today the main complaint from the modelling community was that railcars were boring just running up and down, one  GNR (I) modeller built a fleet of BCDR locos to work the railcar diagrams on his layout.

The AEC cars were basically victims of planned obsolescence as a result of Leyland ceased supplying spare parts including engines and gearboxes for the AEC cars.  I don't think the spartan (sometimes fuel filled)  interiors of the AEC cars and  Inchacore or Dundalk trailer coaches would compare to well with the current Rotem stock.

• Like 4