IRM At The Dublin Show 2022 - Just What Will We Announce?

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

On 19/10/2022 at 4:15 PM, Westcorkrailway said:

I think I have seen a photo of a green AEC railcar at mallow with the caption “heading for Fermoy” however absolutely don’t quote me on that 

Cork_201___552_ca_1960

speaking of AEC railcars look at this one…spotless condition next to 201 and 552! (Although if I’m right there I’d a bit of that GSR grey coming through at the end of the water tank on 201) 201 was later on repainted into CIE black for the IRRS courtmacsherry tour 

I wish Silver-fox painted my one in that post 55 green, I might have even held on to it longer! 

Yes, they were used almost everywhere.

However, the mallow-Waterford line was more normally worked (in diesel days) by the B101 and B121 classes, with A and B141 types also making appearances. The goods was usually B101 or A. Go back a decade and various old 4.4.0s were to be seen along with (mostly) K2s ("Woolwiches"). J15 0.6.0 types and their derivitaves were common too.

The colour balance on that photo isn't quite right - while the railcar is clearly brand newly painted, it is a bit bright for reality. The GSWR third in the background is in the older green, but weathered, and devoid of snails and lining, as some secondary stock based in Cork in later days was.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Where did that come from?

Hmmmmm... an 0.7.0..........

Correct, no "C" ever ran in "tippex" livery, nor carried that logo; the last of them was withdrawn over a year before the "set-of-points" logo was devised. I agree, though, it looks well. What is this model - who madse it, what scale, where did it come from? And why 448?

Layout rules  🤣 

500906379_CClassB223.thumb.png.3688eacdf2aec98ef484164af1a3e7ad.png

Edited by Noel
  • Funny 3

Actually reminds me of an 0.6.0 (or, I suppose, "C") wheel arrangement on a shortened 121 - a 121-style six-wheeled loco which GM did a trial run of about six of, about the same time the 121s were built. Same engine.

One was used all its life BY General Motors in their plant at La Grange as a shunter. Two went to Lebanon and were used on public trains and one may possibly still exist. Another one at least ended up somewhere in South America.

I have a MIR cast metal 121 body which if there ever comes a day when I've nothing else to do (unlikely) I will shorten and pair with some sort of old 6-wheeled power bogie from the under-a-tenner department of Fleabay. It will be a GM experiment that wound its way to Inchicore in 1961 as a luck penny with the 121s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Shunter after it was shortened by buffering up to a pair of 201s :) 

Nicknamed the 'Budgie' at Inchicore works :)  :) 

500906379_CClassB223.thumb.png.3688eacdf2aec98ef484164af1a3e7ad.png.7894e2356c2f6f2a9de62fbcccae42b0.png

I saw this passing through Malahide earlier today. It’s not even slightly photoshopped, of course.

642B5D29-2999-40D7-BE20-70280CC4A931.jpeg

It’s well able for a full twelve Taras, though they have to be N gauge ones.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I am just wondering when the first announcement will be made, from what @Warbonnet said, there is one to be announced before the event. It has been interesting to see the speculation on what everyone would like to see. I am all for Ammonia's I am only waiting on them to come. Would be awesome to have a set with a 071 at the head. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mmie353 said:

I am just wondering when the first announcement will be made, from what @Warbonnet said, there is one to be announced before the event. It has been interesting to see the speculation on what everyone would like to see. I am all for Ammonia's I am only waiting on them to come. Would be awesome to have a set with a 071 at the head. 

Ammonias would be very nice indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There’s a lot of Murphy NIR 071’s and 201’s out there just waiting to haul those Mk2 coaches plus plenty of IR locos hauled them on occasions as well. 

I might be wrong but a 071 by IRM would be their biggest production gamble yet due to the Murphy one being a pretty good model. 

For oul wans like me, it is very encouraging to see the growing interest in things pre-1980 or pre-1970, and steam.

We are well catered for with wagons now, thanks to Mayner, Provincial Leslie, Des Sullivan and others (you know who you are). With carriages, SSM and Worsley have some very nice brass kits, though not for the novice. Steam engines too in the latter two cases, and let's not forget 00 Works' GNR, GSWR and CBSCR locos.

More of all of the above, and the more RTR the better, would be very welcome.

• Like 5

Well we definitely have quite a mix and a bit of something for everyone coming along in the next announcements and through into early next year (and beyond)!

There is something modern in there, something older, something else in the middle, and in the nearly new year more old things, a few very new things, and even more old things ;) 😛

I can, joking aside, confirm we have powered models, coaches, wagons (and perhaps even units) all coming up fast on the roadmap that we're excited to share in the coming weeks and months :)

1 minute ago, BosKonay said:

Well we definitely have quite a mix and a bit of something for everyone coming along in the next announcements and through into early next year (and beyond)!

There is something modern in there, something older, something else in the middle, and in the nearly new year more old things, a few very new things, and even more old things ;) 😛

I can, joking aside, confirm we have powered models, coaches, wagons (and perhaps even units) all coming up fast on the roadmap that we're excited to share in the coming weeks and months :)

like01.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

For oul wans like me, it is very encouraging to see the growing interest in things pre-1980 or pre-1970, and steam.

We are well catered for with wagons now, thanks to Mayner, Provincial Leslie, Des Sullivan and others (you know who you are). With carriages, SSM and Worsley have some very nice brass kits, though not for the novice. Steam engines too in the latter two cases, and let's not forget 00 Works' GNR, GSWR and CBSCR locos.

More of all of the above, and the more RTR the better, would be very welcome.

I’d love if 00 works went through some more obscure steam locos and such that would never be made by a manufacture. Imagine if they made an SLNC 0-6-4 which you can’t even get in 00 form as a kit as far as a I know….or a certain 4-6-0T 😜

49 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Cork and Macroom railway inspection car confirmed?!?!??

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

FS he probably did it in 2 mins for bit of a Giraffe. Expecting a Rembrandt r summit? Relax dude.

What are you singing about? 

I can't say anything on here without you getting all high and mighty.

Keep it up, it's hilarious 

Edited by Blaine

2 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Excellent, looking forward to it

14 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

He does…I can’t finish my kit 

does he make the loughs?

Interestingly Sonic Models are launching an LNER A5. Not sure if the chassis dimensions line up but may be a good foundation for a Bandon tank. https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/sonic-models-oo-lner-a5-4-6-2t-gains-colour?utm_campaign=KMW - Rail newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=230758831&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9szATRKqggfZ5p5DUMB1F3g_5Lf3uzkguIYhDkscY15pvc-XM4H3j1L7egEmGk4mHtm8kg9JpB54c2KENTeNqQuuFCyA&utm_content=230758831&utm_source=hs_email

12 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Dimensions on that look great! The problem is there is probobly a lot of space taken up by flywheels and such…I was looking at an LNER L1 but that one looks better

16 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

He does…I can’t finish my kit 

Its important not to get discouraged with problems finishing a kit.

It takes time and practice to build up the skill and experience to assemble a locomotive kit. One of the great advantages of metal kits over other mediums is that its usually feasible to salvage/improve a kit if you run into problems on the first attempt.

I had several false starts assembling the TMD (SSM) Midland Tank & J15 but succeeded on the second attempt after cutting my teeth assembling a pair of etched diesel shunter kits.

It might be worth while trying a Judith Edge RH 88DS https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/161324-judith-edge-kits-suitable-for-a-beginner/ or even jumping up to O Gauge with one of the smaller "West Cork" locos before tacking a relatively large complex loco like a Bandon Tank

Acquiring/accumulating the suitable tools and materials is one of the first steps in developing the right techniques, I still find Iain Rices book on assembling etched kits and Guy Williams 4mm Engine the Scratchbuilders guide useful after assembling over 30 odd kit and scratch built locos and designing my own kits.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1