The Ultimate

Rate this topic

NIR

On forums you often hear people talk of their ultimate 'grail' or 'exit' item, the one thing that would draw a line under everything for them, complete fulfilment.

Someday I would like to assemble an NIR MPD set, five or more cars (including two power cars) in mixed (but coexisting) liveries including a loco-hauled coach or two (maybe an ex-GNRI BUT power car conversion), all modelled finely and correctly even with no kit support, a painstaking labour of love over several years, maybe never finished.

What is yours?

Edited by NIR
  • Like 4

On 5/14/2019 at 4:10 PM, hexagon789 said:

Not planning to model Irish Rail, but I could be sorely tempted!

For me I'd love full, prototypical Mk3 rakes in their later years. 201s and 071s for haulage. Wouldn't mind some Mk2D rakes for variety either ;)

Exactly but I'd want the super train livery. Anyway no Mk3s being done by IRM but although I like the earlier period better I'd definitely be getting a rake of these if they were available. As it is the Lima MK 3s came in a variety of shades of orange or yellow(er) depending on which set they came from and obviously none were done in ST livery 

I'd also like to see more rtr options in steam, GSR 800 class locos would be on the menu, preferably some 'ultimate' stock to run with them

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 2

An 800 class would need RTR stock to go with it. Various examples of the 1935 and 1937 “Bredins”, and even the 1933 (first) ones. If offered, the GSR maroon one would go with 800, but green and black’n’tan versions would bring us right up to the 1970s when the last of them were withdrawn.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

An 800 class would need RTR stock to go with it. Various examples of the 1935 and 1937 “Bredins”, and even the 1933 (first) ones. If offered, the GSR maroon one would go with 800, but green and black’n’tan versions would bring us right up to the 1970s when the last of them were withdrawn.

I would settle for 85 or 4...….

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

This has the serious smell of a wish list lads, which we're perfectly okay with! Sure it helps us with 'market research' too! 😁

You know it makes sense Fran. I love the Push Pulls and at the end of their career they were very busy before the ICR's were put into service. They also replaced the MK11's on the Heuston Waterford when they were withdrawn. They even made appearances  on the Waterford Limerick line.

Rich,

• Like 2

An AEC Railcar set (GNR of course), but with the correct profile for the front cab, outward angled middle window bar, bottom of cab windows angled backwards, gentle but pronounced curve along the cab lower panel........ On most most models seen to date (INCLUDING MY OWN!) the front profile is too flat.

image.png.95367973b937a0c73919b5101776d8db.png

Oh, and a RTR 'WT'..... er, that's it! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lambeg man said:

An AEC Railcar set (GNR of course), but with the correct profile for the front cab, outward angled middle window bar, bottom of cab windows angled backwards, gentle but pronounced curve along the cab lower panel........ On most most models seen to date (INCLUDING MY OWN!) the front profile is too flat.

image.png.95367973b937a0c73919b5101776d8db.png

Oh, and a RTR 'WT'..... er, that's it! 

Couldn’t agree more. A good quality AEC is well overdue. It spans the GNR, UTA, early NIR and CIE between (variously) 1950 and 1974. 

Black roof on the above, rather than grey, also! 🙂

Irrespective of my own personal preferences, commercially speaking I think there’s little that would sell better than RTR Jeep, possibly W class, AEC railcar or 80 class railcar.

• Like 3

Alot of what would have been my Ultimate I luckily now have, with some still to come down the line. But like Rich, having a Mk3 push pull set would definitely be the dogs dangly bits. 

And along with that, something that can sometimes be overlooked. I'd love a high quality rtr Mk1 GSV to compliment my Cravens.And probably even more than that, the Dutch generator van (rebuilt) to run with my Mk2a's. I'd be a happy bunny with that lot :) 

Edited by JasonB
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Couldn’t agree more. A good quality AEC is well overdue. It spans the GNR, UTA, early NIR and CIE between (variously) 1950 and 1974. 

Black roof on the above, rather than grey, also! 🙂

Irrespective of my own personal preferences, commercially speaking I think there’s little that would sell better than RTR Jeep, possibly W class, AEC railcar or 80 class railcar.

CIE for me, DCC ready, coach lighting, and easy to open for fitting driver and passengers.

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I'm with AClass007 on this - a "Supertrain" A class with a rake of air-conditioned coaches in the same livery is pretty striking - remember the superb CIE publicity shot on Bray Head?

I'm very lucky in that I have a lot of what I want, having been collecting Irish for twenty years now, BUT....

A really good model of GNR(I) Class VS No.207, capable of going round my rather tight curves, and, more importantly,  able to take ten mahogany coaches on an All-in Rugby Special or for the Horse Show in Dublin.

I'm with "ttc" on the No.85 front.

Patrick, Old Boy - dream on - you're one of the handful of people wanting to model the BCDR - but all power to your elbow - your suggestion re Queens Quay with the Golfers' Express departing is delectable.

• Like 2

Not sure about the Jeep but the AEC railcar would be on CIE rails still in GNR livery post '58, then in essential CIE  green and BnT. The AEC would be a complete set, hopefully with more intermediates available, and maybe a 'dummy' for use in later CIE period?

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

And all of the above !!  wishing on a wish list...  

I think the Jeep - certainly in preserved  number would be a good one as it covers today and with a selection of numbers and weathered version covers many more eras.  A mogul as well would fit above thinking.

class 80 personally and clearly the C class have appeal . The Mk3 is a vast lake to absorb cash to get to the current standard of offerings in the market place, so may remain a "long felt want."  The Hunslet DLs and 450 would be on the "nice to have" pile but sales would be hard to justify I would imagine.      

Now having a set of 6 bogie chemical tankers looking at me from the gloat box does of course mean the boys in the bunker have plans to add value to the 42 foot flats with the barrier tank version twin pack ..... and of course the bogie tankers!! 

NB class 80s coming well on the bench boys!  so I can guess next project

Robert 

What I could really go for is a jeep to go with the lovely spoil wagons from Leslie.  Definitely the Mk 3s  including the push pull.

Im with JasonB on a Dutch van either rebuilt or unrebuilt , don't think I've ever mentioned the Dutch vans to Fran or on here before

I could be mistaken ,  and also the Thumpers if that's correct .  cheers guys.

• Funny 2

I would obviously love to see the Class 80 DEMU's released by IRM. I'm no expert in moulding manufacturing but there my be possibilities of using some of the parts to produce the ultimate Mk2's under the Accurascale label for the UK market and of course the NIR enterprise stock.  

Plus the range of colour schemes the Class80's carried and the fact they made it across much of the Irish system could help make them viable. 

Edited by NIRCLASS80
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I would obviously love to see the Class 80 DEMU's released by IRM. I'm no expert in moulding manufacturing but there my be possibilities of using some of the parts to produce the ultimate Mk2's under the Accurascale label for the UK market and of course the NIR enterprise stock.  

Plus the range of colour schemes the Class80's carried and the fact they made it across much of the Irish system could help make them viable. 

I love the way we spend others money !!  Great fun and must put the fear of ,,,, up the lads in the new bunker. But you are right as the Deltics hauled early Mk2s on east Coast and then all of them as time went on.

Bachmann have done the earliest and latest plus Hornby have ex lima and their own latest offerings but only Lima ( bless their socks ) did the Mk 2 b or c with wrap-a-round door and no middle doors - which made up the NIR fleet and a chunk of the class 80 "augumention" trailers  plus some of the ex Vic Berry exports for CIE. The lima model also helpfully came with amoured sides.

So the lads have something to hang coats on. Sadly the 80 only had a brief period of having just 3 bodyshells  in the fleet but quickly gained conversions from the enterprise coaches and two BR second had ones for replacements. Thus it cannot be economic to do all the variations that ran  but the three basic shells and a middle trailer without a middle door would cover many versions.           

Robert

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

To briefly return to my earlier comments about AEC Railcar cab fronts (I know, groooooan....), I attach a manufacturers' drawing and a photo:

image.thumb.png.3c2c735afcbc9d8a558d073902f51a47.png

It will be seen from the side view that the cab front does angle outwards at the center, then curve inward at the bottom. What may not have been apparent in my previous post was that looking downwards, one can see the amount of buffer beam that was exposed at the outer ends by the curvature of the cab front.

image.png.ec7e7c4f95b0e5045679a9d23c789638.png

Note that this an AEC company drawing and all the window profiles are incorrect, certainly for the GNR railcars, as they were squared at the corners on the finished product.

Also missing from the drawing are the grab handles on the cab front, just below the cab windows and the two lamp irons on the buffer beam, as seen in this photo.

image.png.931066b829ab80c8ffa0ade149af74d7.png

Has anyone a suggestion as to how one might construct a correctly fashioned AEC cab front that could be retro fitted to an aspiring model of one these vehicles?  

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

• 6 months later...